1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Maths KS4 Coordinator Interview - Lesson

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Nazard, May 9, 2011.

1. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Hi Mike,
    You will find that you get really useful feedback on this board if you post fairly detailed ideas and ask for a critique. People who ask "What can I do?" tend to get cross with the sorts of replies they receive ...
    Also - if your prospective HOD reads these messages they will know you need help in lesson planning. which is probably not the impression you want to give.

2. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

For what it's worth, this seems to be an ideal topic to be asked to teach and a great way to set out your stall as to how you teach in general.
    You can do some assessment of what the pupils can do already, teach them something new and then see how well they can do it.
    You could have some diagrams with enlargements of scale factor 2, 3, 4, etc and then ask what the enlargement would be to turn the bigger one into the smaller one.
    If you like AfL then you could do some. If you don't then don't.

3. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Why do you need to be 'flashier'?
    OK I'm observing your lesson (not really [​IMG]). I want to see you engage with the class and show them you can control them, and work with them, be humourous but step on the gas at the right points. I want to see your AfL techniques. I want to see how you establish what they know, and build on that; how you establish their learning and progress by the end of the lesson. I want to see you make sure they've all acheived something worthwhile. I don't want to see you showing off with some gizmo which is entertaining but isn't your usual thing and is ultimately a bit of a distraction. If you're comfortable with autograph, and they have it on their network (check this first) go with that, and plan your lesson. But I do want to see you be flexible and adapt your plan depending on what you find they can already manage from careful questioning.
    I'd be surprised if they haven't done positive scale factors already, but I'd be equally surprised if you had negative and fractional scale factors wrapped up and embedded by the end of the lesson. So have an idea about starting points, ending points, and learning experiences.
    That's my tuppence worth.
    G'luck.

4. Thank you very much for the advice googolplex, I have taken on board what you have said and have planned some introductory activities that will gauge their current level of ability and also hopefully give them some confidence in what they are doing. Then moving onto using Autograph to extend the learning. I've planned for flexibility depending on how they do.
    Many thanks.

5. thanks for the insight Nazard and I have certainly taken on board some of what you have said and I think that using AfL will be essential.

Thanks

6. DM

DM New commenter

Be careful that the version of Autograph on their network is the same as the one you are used to!

7. Beyond the obvious thought this was my mindset too.
    Never rely on a schools techonoly and have a back up plan.
    My suggestion is to teach the same lesson you have done on the subject in the past that has made you successful enough to reach this stage of job application.
    The only thing that may differ is the explicit commentry within the lesson for those viewing