1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths KS3 student books

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by scentless_apprentice, May 13, 2011.

1. Elmwood Press - comprehensive, full of questions, puzzles and review sections, and cheap.

2. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Agreed. Elmwood press are the no frills option - although they have just gone full colour!! Designed by maths teachers for maths teachers. Not pretending to 'teach the kids' with pointless pages of examples and explanations. Cheap, comprehensive, and versatile. I wouldn't bother looking elsewhere.

3. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

As ever, I recommend having a look at the MEP books. Go to http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

The PDFs are free to down load, but if you want to spend some money the printed copies are so cheap that the postage will be a substantial part of the price.

4. Who is your audience?
    Are they good kids who will push on to higher GCSE and A level maths? or medium/lower ability?
    I like the idea of MEP for good kids as they make them think but are now OTT in terms of what they will be tested in our watered down exams. I love them yet find myself using y7 with y9 and much of the y9 beyond the kids (which is a shame). The Collins frameworking ones are awful IMO.
    I would be temoted to get foundation GCSE books for the les able or younger and higher for the better or older kids.
    The Oxford range are 'ok' and will last into GCSE years. From past experince KS3 kids want to work from GCSE books and it often motivates some.

5. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Considering that this course is designed for differentiated teaching (standard, academic, express), this is really frightening. I've successfully taught weaker students the standard level stuff, appropriate to their year. So this begs the question of just how bad maths education is, these days, in the UK.

6. Ohhh I shall not get started as my view is not shared by all.
    The GCSE course (for example) now spans AS and certainly doesnt match too much of foundation anymore. The level is slightly high.
    I think lots fits but the idea of wanting to know (like the little investigations on the KS3) is often lost on kids as they just 'want the answer for the exam'
    Lots works but I have found that its not as clear cut as y7/8/9 anymore and dare I say it, use lots of y7 for GCSE foundation on the edexcel board