1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Key stage 1 Yr1

Discussion in 'Teaching & Learning' started by mrrjmcneil, May 2, 2020.

1. mrrjmcneil

mrrjmcneil New commenter

Hi! Hope you are all surviving lockdown! I’m a secondary Physics teacher, looking for ideas to help my 6 year old daughter progress with her maths. I’ve purchased some work books from amazon and she does “number bots”. Reading is great, Oxford 9, but I think maths is falling behind which is a shame as she really enjoys it! I’m very busy teaching video lessons most days and my wife is a doctor so also very busy. Can anyone recommend resources which will engage her and help her progress independently? Should I buy an abacus? I’ve no idea with KS1! I should probably say she is adding and subtracting single figures up to 10. Counting to 100. Currently doing money, time and measuring. Any suggestions greatly received. Many thanks!

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Have a look at White Rose maths. Their site has lots of home learning.

find maths in all you do, there’s lots at that age - counting things out in different ways, baking, cutting pizza into halves and quarters, collecting items eg collect ten then find how many different ways you can put them in two groups, money - set up a toy shop, tell the time (not as a lesson but incidentally during the day)...

hope this helps you! Good luck. Xx

3. crumbleskates

crumbleskates Occasional commenter

Buy a set of numicon then look up activities to use it.
    Give her loads of opps to work through the concrete/visual/abstract which works for endless calculations. Eg throw a dice to get 2 numbers. Start with that number of toys, add together, repeat by drawing the toys in groups etc, repeat with objects buttons etc, then draw those.
    Move to represent the objects with say dots or blobs, move to just digits. Lots of repetition with gradual variation eg 4 +1, 4+2 etc. According to her understanding. The method above is useful for testing where she is in her learning ie fluency across. Put the equals in both sides, work on commutativity eg if I know 4+6=10 I also know....Make the same calculations into word problems, yes you would need to put time into going through the methods, but she is prob doing this at school already, it’s easy to generate lots of variations on a theme too.

4. DFC

DFC New commenter

You could also check out the weekly home learning packs on Classroom Secrets. The Maths should link in quite well to the White Rose Hub materials. Plus you will get more Literacy stuff on there to supplement the resources you have already described.

In general play games that involve logic and strategy, do simple puzzle activities to develop thinking skills, different types of crosswords and jigsaws - fun things that use maths in context of real life.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Sand and water trays, with heaps of containers from the kitchen to play with will teach her far more about measuring and capacity than any workbook or app. Get her to make sandwiches for lunch for everyone, which will help her with estimating as well as measuring and general life skills.
    No!

Let her do jigsaws and play board games like junior scrabble and monopoly.
    Set up a snack shop at home and give her an amount of money each day to 'buy' treats and snacks from the snack shop.
    Let her have a tea party with dolls or soft toys, setting out the right number of cups and plates and so on.
    Cook a meal with her following a recipe.
    When you go for a walk, count the steps and talk about turning left and right.
    Playing with construction toys (Lego, etc) is useful for all kinds of maths.

And then just enjoy her company and hold heaps of conversations on topics of her choice. She really won't 'fall behind' in any great way. Just ensure she is having fun and benefiting from this time away from formal learning. In many countries she'd not have even started school yet!

Stiltskin likes this.
  6. miss_singmarbles

miss_singmarbles New commenter

Numbots is incredibly tedious in my opinion (as a fellow parent of a 6 year old). Doodle Maths is better and currently free I think. Normally the free version is quite limited and you have to subscribe to do more than a handful of Qs per day, but I think you can use it in premium mode at the moment even if the school doesn't use it (I could be wrong). Carol Vorderman's Maths Factor is also currently free and is more of a teaching tool rather than just practicing questions, but we haven't had a chance to try it yet. That's the tech based stuff, but if you have a bit of time to play together then Orchard Games are great. Money Match Cafe, What's the Time Mr Wolf, Magic Maths etc.