1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Investigations help

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Danielle1988, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Whilst on supply I have been using lots of Maths investigations for children.
    I am now a year 5/6 teacher and want to have some of these for my own class. Does anyone know a good website containing Maths problems/investigations. A good one I can remember was frogs and toads... so investigations along that line.
    Any help would be appreciated :)

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

3. Great, thank you. Anyone know of any other websites????

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

5. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

I agree with the suggestions above - have a look at the nrich teacher menu for the helpful curriculum mapping documents.
    This New Zealand problems site has many resources.
    I have collected my own favourites on the following page - mostly KS3 but I suspect some of this may be useful.
    Rich Tasks

6. I
    I also love the Bowland Maths tasks, but, I thought they were designed for KS3.
    I would be very disappointed if the time, planning and preparation I had put into ensuring my lessons were as effective as possible, was for nothing because the students had already completed the task at KS2.
    Is it common practice for primary schools to use Bowland Maths Tasks?

7. DM

DM New commenter

Probably not as a number of schools have complained they are too difficult for many of their KS3 students!

8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Sorry, but I have top group maths who are working at level 5/6 and the tasks quite happily suit this ability level. I didn't realise they were the exclusive province of secondary teachers[​IMG]
    There are only a few there that don't feature topics on the KS2 curriculum, I pick and chose the ones that do!

9. DM

DM New commenter

The strapline "An imaginative resource for teaching mathematics at Key Stage 3" and the fact that it was exclusively released to schools that had KS3 maths classes were clues.

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

It also says "suitable for use in primary schools" and "some of the material is suitable for top sets in primary schools" and "is available to primary schools too" so I took that as meaning I could use it.
    Sorry, but quite a few of my colleagues use it too! It was recommended on the MAST program as a source of investigative ideas for able pupils and I'm never one to turn down good resources!

11. DM

DM New commenter

Where does it say that? I would be shocked if this is true as it is contrary to the stated Bowland objectives.

12. DM

DM New commenter

I have found it now in the FAQs. That used to just say it can be used in KS4 as well - they are obviously getting desperate.

13. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

On the FAQ page, questions 4 and 13 a

14. Hi CarrieV
    In many ways I think it is great that you are using the Bowland materials at KS2, but there are a couple of caveats to this.
    1) The FAQ refers to, and was written about, the original Bowland Case Studies. These include 'Alien Invasion', 'Crash Test;, 'Baby Kangaroo', etc. I like them, but many secondary maths teachers felt there wasn't enough maths in them to justify the time they took. These were certainly promoted by NCETM as being appropriate for KS2 pupils to use.
    2) Your earlier post linked to the newer Bowland Assessment Tasks. These were, as far as I am aware, written for KS3 pupils. The Teachers' Guide for these tasks doesn't mention using them at KS2 and does say: " Bowland Maths now includes over thirty tasks designed to help you assess your pupils' achievements and progression against the Key Processes defined in the Key Stage 3 National Curriculum."
    The possible, potential issue I can see is if your local secondary schools are using these as part of their work. It will make life rather difficult for the secondary teachers.
    I don't know where you work, but if you are at one of my local schools then I (as a secondary teacher) would welcome a conversation about which tasks you plan to use, so I can plan to use different ones. If you local schools aren't using any of them then do go ahead and enjoy them all!

15. Think of Bowland maths like the Simpsons cartoon, just less successful.
    Anyone can get involved but you have to be really really quite switched on to access it all in its full depth (ie 4+ lessons). Im sure 'good' kids at KS2 will be able to access it on a superficial level yet the real depth of it can only, from experience, be drawn out by kids who have a range of study skills beyond maths. Many of my less able year 9 kids who were level 6+ managed to produce their conjecture within 20-30 minutes yet not really go into it as intended. Did they really 'get it'?...again thats subjective.
    My kids loved Simpsons as it was a bright cartoon, I loved it because of the political undertones.
    I think nrich is good, but again favours kids who are more able on lots of levels. I am leaning towards really pulling everything out of functional maths around the Olympics at the moment. Assuming your kids have already mastered basic maths, the scope is endless.
    If they haven't grapsed this, then IMO these 'tasks' need to be shelved for a while

16. DM

DM New commenter

17. Hi DM
    Yes, but its been updated lots since I last looked, so thanks for reminding me.
    I think this site is awesome to inspire kids to see (cliche coming up) "maths is everywhere"