1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

maths investigation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jog_on, Mar 30, 2008.

1. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

2. Have you checked primary resources there are some word problems for football matches etc on there that may inspire you

3. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

No, have looked elsewhere though.

Hope something will twig in my brain soon!

Maths planning almost complete and literacy most of the way there too!

:)

4. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

It looks good...think I'm going to have to make my own though, as I want something really exciting and much more interactive!

Thanks for the help!

5. How about planning a week long holiday?? I've done this....they had £1000 to spend, and they had to take one friend. This meant they had to double everything - they often forgot this! They had a price list of activities, food, days out etc They had to work out how much they spend per day and then work out their balance. Was fab and the children loved it!
    Lxx

6. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

What a great idea! Might get some holiday brochures and do it like that...tell them that the holiday is for me and husband and they have to take into account the fact that we have to go during school holidays because I'm a teacher etc!

Fantastic - thank you.

Will make something and put it in the file bank at some point :)

7. Now that sounds exciting, you could do it where they have to include certain things like a trip to a theme park as well.

8. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Ooooh...good idea!

Thank you...brain is working again! :)

9. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Do you think they could use a website like lastminute.com and I specify I want to fly from a London airport and the flight has to be after 8am, but before 3pm? They could come up with their own holiday for someone and present it at the end of the lesson. Think I might get them to plan for the Beckhams or someone like that - they have suddenly lost all their money! ;)

What do you think?

10. I think that sounds really good and would certainly be investigating real life problems. You could include things like planning for themselves and a friend, or maybe include a small child in with one group. Can they include car hire in it? Do they have enough money for spending money as well? How much spending money should they have each day? Is there holiday inclusive of food which would give them more money? They could produce a simple spreadsheet too to help present it on.

11. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Could differentiate quite easily too - will have a look on the website now and come up with ways of doing it.

Reckon the chn would like to have task presented to them in envelopes so it's a surprise!

Hopefully will have finished something tonight and will post on the resource bank.

12. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Not sure if they've done spreadsheets or not - might just get them to explain how they have spent their budget at the end of the lesson - not sure what format yet.

13. I'm excited and I am not going to be teaching it. Don't think my Y1s would cope with an activity like that ;) Are you going to get them to do it over 1 or 2 lessons?

14. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

I don't think I'll do any teaching input of sorts really, so might manage it in 1 day...if not, I'll just get them to continue it on the Monday. Our advisor keeps saying that we have to be more flexible with our time! hehe

15. What about theme park maths
    https://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/thread.aspx?story_...

dont know what this is like found it on parasites
    35 | Posted by: ResourceCentre at 05 Mar 2008 22:29

Theme Park Maths has been updated this evening.

Tasks 11, 12 and 13 added!

We are now at the end of season 2!

http://www.primaryresourcecentre.com/free.html

Craig
    16 | Posted by: dazza d at 07 Jan 2008 21:50

Have Top group maths - all 4a and above - class of 25. Split them into two groups - currently going over methods for 4 rules and applying them to diffenent worded problems.
    Also offering loads of open ended investigations - currently working on a theme park topic - have two investigations to give them. First involves designing a theme park using given measurements - e.g. - the whole park measures 100 x 50 cm2. 1/4 of the park is made up of forest areas - 200cm2 is a cafe - 100cm2 is a play area in the shape of a right angled triangle ...etc...
    The second involves designing a theme park and keeping track of the finances - got this from primary resources I think. The plan the park and keep a running total of costs based on daily figures for vistors / electricity etc ...

Alternate my groups between investigations / revision and consolidation activities - seems to work
    18 | Posted by: Vermonty at 10 Jun 2007 17:04

Last week I did the "Lunar Theme Park" activity available on the Primary resources website. The children really enjoyed it!

Would be interested to hear other maths ideas that Y6 teachers have been doing.

16. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Will definitely consider that in the future, am going to do holidays for this unit though, as it is inspiring!

Really exciting - creating Posh's wishlist as we speak

17. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

How does this sound for my highest ability chn - I will provide a list of Qs for them to answer too e.g. what is the average price per person?:

You are a travel agent ? you need to attempt to lure the Beckhams into booking their holiday through you.

Use the following website:

Lastminute.com

Their requirements:
    ? 2 adults, 3 children
    ? Flight from a London airport
    ? They do not want to go to Spain (holds too many bad memories!)
    ? Holiday needs to be during school holidays (August preferably)
    ? Posh cannot make 12th August, as she has a Spice Girls concert (13th August would be tricky too)
    ? Needs to be at least 10 days in duration
    ? Accommodation should be at least half board
    ? Needs to be somewhere in Europe
    ? Maximum budget is £5000
    ? Holiday
    ? Flights
    ? Hire car

Don?t forget to factor in a profit for yourself ? this should be 5% of the total cost.

Do not go over budget!!!

18. Will your children be able to work out 5% of cost for themselves?

19. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

The top ones will be able to - they're better at maths than I am most of the time. I will probably say to them something like 5% is the same as 5/100 and they will grasp it immediately and know how to work it out!