1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Intervention

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by RJR_38, Feb 27, 2012.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I have just started as SENCO at a school and as the systems in place need a huge overhaul I havekind of got freedom to develop what I want. The school is generally high achieving but with very high EAL. Class sizes are small (around 15) with 2 TAs shared between the whole of KS2.
    What I am looking for is some Maths Intervention. If I take children I can obviously plan and deliver a tailor made programme for the child and with small class sizes it could perhaps be argued that clas teachers should be doing the same thing... but that isn't necessarily happening yet. Does anyone know of any good intervention programmes I could investigate - probbaly for TAs to take on? (Money isn't necessarily an issue but I need something good quality.) there is a lot out there for literacy should you choose to use it but Maths I haven't yet found anything other than the wave 3 government materials...

2. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I have just started as SENCO at a school and as the systems in place need a huge overhaul I havekind of got freedom to develop what I want. The school is generally high achieving but with very high EAL. Class sizes are small (around 15) with 2 TAs shared between the whole of KS2.
    What I am looking for is some Maths Intervention. If I take children I can obviously plan and deliver a tailor made programme for the child and with small class sizes it could perhaps be argued that clas teachers should be doing the same thing... but that isn't necessarily happening yet. Does anyone know of any good intervention programmes I could investigate - probbaly for TAs to take on? (Money isn't necessarily an issue but I need something good quality.) there is a lot out there for literacy should you choose to use it but Maths I haven't yet found anything other than the wave 3 government materials...

3. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

Hi I am not a teacher but a TA, have you tried Numicon, this is visual and helps children a great deal.

4. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

Numicon now has an intervention programme (used to be called Closing the Gap) which is very structured.
    You deliver a diagnostic assessment and this clearly informs you of where the gaps/misconceptions are. It then cross references this to the Numicon teaching activities, so the planning is pretty much done for you.
    For special needs maths, in my opinion, there is nothing better out there than Numicon.
    I've used Rapid Maths and Power of 2 but much of this is just repetition of the same, for some children this isn't enough. They need visual images to support their development of numerosity which is what Numicon supports. (I'm not on commission by the way!!!!)
    Take a look at http://www.numicon.com/Intervention-home.aspx