1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Intervention

Discussion in 'Primary' started by claire810, Dec 20, 2011.

1. In our school we have tended to use springboard for intervention to different degrees dependent on year group. Linking to another thread about teaching from APP type materials what are people doing about intervention? Are people still using springboard? We have also used collins as we have the scheme and overcoming barriers.
    Just wondering what everyone else is doing - [​IMG]

2. In our school we have tended to use springboard for intervention to different degrees dependent on year group. Linking to another thread about teaching from APP type materials what are people doing about intervention? Are people still using springboard? We have also used collins as we have the scheme and overcoming barriers.
    Just wondering what everyone else is doing - [​IMG]

3. And I'm interested in when they are doing it. I was thinking of having one Springboard session running once a week during a maths lesson, simply because there is not enough time during the rest of the week and the same children end up missing out on other curriculum areas.
    We use Springboard. Does anyone else run this with a TA during daily maths lessons? If so, how do you organise it?

4. 3 children from my maths set go out to a springboard intervention 3/5 days a week for the whole hour lesson. I have to be honest I have expressed my concerns about them missing first quality teaching and they are often lost when they come back into class at the end of the week as they have missed lots of the input. I also worry they will miss out on other areas of maths such as when we do shape and handling data, whilst the number work is important there often isn't time for them to catch up! After Christmas I am going to try and change my teaching so we do lots of number work on the days they are out and try do the other areas on the days they are In but not sure how this will work! Any other better ideas welcome! :)

5. I'm wondering whether to try and match the springboard work to what everyone else is doing? I'm not very familiar with the programme, but my TA has used it for years. I wonder if I could tell her what we will be doing the following week and ask her to match up a springboard unit for the beginning of the week?
    That way, those children who need it would get some more targeted input at the beginning of the week? I'm just thinking aloud here.... any input very gratefully received!

6. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Technically any intervention should be on top of class lessons ... otherwise it isn't intervention, just what they get!
    I agree that the main focus should be on quality first teaching and guided work within the maths lessons.
    You could look at the TA leading a guided group within the lesson and focusing on developing skills which the group particularly needs.
    There is clear evidence that for intervention to be effective it needs to be focused and time-limited. Springboard is one option, although there are lots of other resources around such as Overcoming Barriers, Wave 3, Moving children from x to y and securing levels documents.
    Carrie [​IMG]

7. I know, it's just that the same children end up in intervention groups for literacy and numeracy, and so end up missing most of the topic work we do in the afternoons. we can't take children out of assembly time, so time is very limited.
    In my school, we have to use Springboard - and provide evidence!
    I have tried planning guided groups for my TA, but it takes me forever and I'm never quite sure it's gone as I planned. Maybe I could use the springboard materials as the basis for a TA guided group? They could then do a ten minute intervention at another time during the week, using and applying the skills in a problem solving situation?

8. We've recently cut right down on interventions because children were having so much maths and literacy intervention it was becoming watered down. We do intervention outside the lesson - within the lesson it is just support. I don't use springboard as written. I use overcoming barriers, assess where work is needed and link in springboard where it is useful. It takes a lot of planning though and a good relationship with your TA (I teach one of the interventions a week and plan from there).

9. All the children in my class who did ECC last year have dropped since their KS1 results. We had already started them on specific Springboard 3 units at half term (they were going out 3 times a week) but it hasn't made a difference. Can you suggest another schemes? I'm using Overcoming Barriers in class.

10. marylamb

marylamb New commenter

Hi
    Overcoming barriers will help with the gaps.
    But the best interventions has to be the APP's. get the TA to teach obj from them on a daily basis,
    In this way the gaps the children have are being dealt with, rather than a bunch of objectives that generalise children's gaps, which were put together years ago.
    just an idea - it works really well in my class.
    malteser muncher

11. Unfortunately we are doing the opposite! As of January all TAs are out of class and running interventions all day everyday! :-(

12. I used Springboard, wave 3 and Overcoming Barriers, being given a fair amount of autonomy in some KS2 year groups, having experience as a class teacher, though in the p-t role of T.A. in a particular school for 6 years. Working as a One to One tutor last year for a term revealed how useful overcoming barriers is to steer towards filling gaps but a qualified, person experienced in support can use the may underused materials in stock cupboards to select appropriate practice tasks from or make up their own.
    I firmly feel that especially for very low achieving children, it's time to put money back into providing special needs teachers again to do intervention which relieves the class teacher of work, fully complementing class teaching and planning. However I also was careful to make sure children stayed in for input in the class where I had looked at planning and saw, as for example mentioned in shape, space and measure that this would give them important, quality teaching. One teacher I worked with was particularly good at adapting starter material, including number, for the least able. She also often allowed me to judge when the groups needed to be extracted, so I think those children got exactly the right mix of class teacher time and support.
    Essentially class teachers need to sometimes be supporting their lowest ability pupils certainly not always T.A.s, to ensure that material is well matched, they understand the real ability of the children and too much support isn't been given to hinder emerging independent thinking. Parents also have the right to know that qualified professionals are in charge of their children's education. Recent supply work has shown me that the range of skill in T.A.s differs enormously.