1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths input in Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by nikilala, Jan 5, 2016.

1. nikilala

nikilala New commenter

Hi
    I am new to Reception this year and am struggling for what to do as a maths input.
    The first term we looked at counting, number songs, number lines etc.

Can anyone advise what sort of things I could do to engage the whole class/ vary my input as i am bored of interactive games on the board and building number lines.

There is now a considerable gap in where my children are eg. some can count, write and recognise numbers to 20 and one more one less, whereas others cant consistently count objects to 10.
    TIA
    Nic

2. lovecats10

lovecats10 New commenter

Hi - This is how we currently do it in our classrooms - hope this might be of some help . We split the class into two smaller groups for maths input with the TA taking one group and the teacher taking another. This means we can challenge the children who need it and support the lowers better. The TA and teacher swop groups each week to ensure we work with both groups over the fortnight and know where they are at. The smaller groups help with ensuring work is more focused to their needs and it also helps ensure more children can be more involved in the games. It also means we can take the smaller groups outdoors or get them engaged in more active games such as what's the time Mr Wolf or number throw and find etc. We changed to this system from whole class teaching for the same reasons you mention in your post.

We also do a small maths group (5-6 children) once a day (5 days a week) so each group gets an extra input related to that weeks focus. The teacher takes this after the maths input whilst the rest of the class have free reading time with the TA. It's short, just 15mins but really helps to push and support work and children. We still have children that can't count in sequence from 1-5 so our differentation is huge! We are also introducing a very short maths intervention group just before hometime to target our very lowest children which the TA takes. This is just playing very simple games focusing on counting in sequence, 1:1 etc. We will see how this goes and introduce challenge as needed when we see progress.

Our topic last term was all about number (counting in sequence, one:eek:ne correspondence, numeral recognition, numberlines, beginning addition for HAs). We have now moved onto shape and will take this into patterns, measure and space in Spring term. Our last term will be pushing on addition, subtraction, doubling, halving, sharing etc as well as revising number and shape.

nikilala and Kartoshka like this.
  3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

That sounds good, @lovecats10. I find that whole class teaching for number work can be quite difficult, as the more able children are not being challenged if you only work with numbers to 10, but the less able get confused if you include too many numbers.

You might find that it works better to have a short whole class input could be about another aspect of maths - shape, space or measures - and then continue work on number in small groups. Or, do you need to do a whole class maths input at all? After all, maths is just one of the seven areas of learning - do you do a whole class input for, say, expressive arts and design? Just something to think about.

4. lovecats10

lovecats10 New commenter

I agree @Kartoshka . Unfortunately that's not my choice to make! A big push on maths in our school. However we are finding the maths working much better this way and when planning we know we can challenge and support our children better using the groups. Luckily we have afternoons to focus on the other areas of the curriculum and our topics are often based around a provocation, this term a famous artist so we are planning lots of AED and UofW, often with whole class input after register. Last term we had a huge focus on PSHE so it does work out quite well for us :)