1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths in reception - help!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by e_hollamby86, Sep 23, 2010.

1. what part of maths specifically?!

2. As the original post is a tad vague maybe I should put my tuppence worth in.
    I suspect that the teaching of maths in reception is poor with an over concentration on counting, number recognition and ordering as well as basic shape but little on calculation.
    I doubt the more able are particularly challenged and if you use the profiles then it is difficult to monitor progress. I fear that an emphasis on 'the maths area' is equated with teaching when it is really using apparatus incorrectly. Setting up a shop has little to do with maths unless the objectives and targets are clear.
    For starters

3. http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/Primary/Mathematics/AllMathematicsresources/Abacus/FreeResources/FreeResources.aspx

Don't know if this is any good but its free maths planning for reception and nursery including focus activities and activities across the provision.

4. Mmm..just wondering, BrainJim, how qualified you are to be making sweeping generalizations in such a critical fashion of the way that reception teachers approach numeracy!
    I suspect you may just be trying to be a little provocative to us mere mortals in reception!!

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

but SOAPy does it so well [​IMG]

6. and Teejay has been quiet for a while!

7. Hello, this is exactly how I am feeling about Numeracy in my class at the moment. Do you teach Reception? If so, how do you teach PSRN?