1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths IGCSE

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by S1a3t5u7r9n, Nov 11, 2011.

1. S1a3t5u7r9n

S1a3t5u7r9n New commenter

I am the GCSE CoOrdinator in my school and this morning have been told by SMT that we are going to switch to IGCSE from Edexcel modular first teaching next Septmber.
    Can any body give me their views on the pros and cons for such a move.
    I know the IGCSE is supposed to be more rigorous but I have also heard that the algebra content is less than the normal GCSE

Any views would be greatly appreciated

2. My impression is that if there is much difference then it's the other way around.

3. S1a3t5u7r9n

Thanks

Can I clarify

Are you saying that there is more algebra in the IGCSE

4. Why not take a look at some papers and make your own mind up.

5. S1a3t5u7r9n

I was hoping that there was a helpful person out there who might be able to help.
    Us teachers dont have a lot of spare time

6. Check your inbox. I sent you a PM straight after I posted that.

7. You don't know for certain, which board. I think that is quite basic.
    As I said the two are different, so don't feel capable of giving you any opinions.

8. S1a3t5u7r9n

Edexcel
    I thought that this forum was about helping each other
    Thanks for all the help

9. It is and there are some very helpful people.
    I think I said we cannot help you without the correct information. When I asked before your response was "Edexcel, I think". I could have written all about CIE but that would not have helped you, which is why I asked you to clarify the board.
    As it is I know nothing about the Edexcel IGCSE, so cannot help you.
    If you are after a comparisson of the syllabus for the two then I don't see why you can't do that yourself. As far as I know, there are only a handful of people who teach Maths overseas who post on the Maths forum and I think they all either don't teach IGCSE or if they do they teach CIE which is more common. You could try the teaching overseas forum but you'll find them blunter.
    Exactly what information do you want?

10. S1a3t5u7r9n

I wanted to know what people had experienced when changing to IGCSE.
    I believe it is more rigorous but is it suitable for students who will end up getting a C for normal GCSE