1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths hot topics

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by roddy_t, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Thanks for your replies, the topics you have mentioned have all gone into my presentation. I was just wondering if there were any major developments within maths teaching, or teaching as a whole, that I might need to know about

2. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Producing good learners / creative learners / productive attitudes to learning / life long leathers etc.

For starters I suggest a search for Carol Dweck would give you lots to think about.

3. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Leathers? Learners

4. My question would be "Why do you want the job?"
    This should answer some questions on a micro level. What are the main issues in your school that drive you to apply?
    On a macro level you will be aware about 'early entry' issues at KS3 the lack of a solid, universally agreed method of testing and low levels of numeracy.

5. I'm assuming that you are already teaching Maths. You should, therefore, have some idea of what affects you in the classroom, your department within the school and the school within the wider educational community.
    Also, a look through the threads on this forum and on the Opinion forum may well give you some clues as to the "hot" topics in Mathematics at the moment.
    I'm staggered that you feel able to co-ordinate a Key Stage with little or no knowledge about what is happening within that Key Stage. If posting a thread is the extent of your preparation for interview, prepare to be disappointed.

cyolba, wondering how people got jobs before TESland was invented :)