1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths help!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by coco and crusty, Feb 7, 2011.

1. coco and crusty

coco and crusty New commenter

Ok I'm sitting here my mind a blank. I planned my maths for this week at the weekend assuming what resources we would have in school. (I've only been there since September) I planned to find out the heaviest fruit by weighing against a 500g mass. The only problem is we don't have any!! very limited on masses mainly have 10g. I need to replan something for the mornign and really tired so can't think of anything!!!

Can anyone suggest anythign taht will take little resourcing, or resources that I might have at home. We are hoping to linke the measureing we do today with data handling.

Thanks
    Coco

2. coco and crusty

Ok I'm sitting here my mind a blank. I planned my maths for this week at the weekend assuming what resources we would have in school. (I've only been there since September) I planned to find out the heaviest fruit by weighing against a 500g mass. The only problem is we don't have any!! very limited on masses mainly have 10g. I need to replan something for the mornign and really tired so can't think of anything!!!

Can anyone suggest anythign taht will take little resourcing, or resources that I might have at home. We are hoping to linke the measureing we do today with data handling.

Thanks
    Coco

3. Can you nip to the shop in the morning and buy a 500g bag of sugar?

4. coco and crusty

Thanks for the quick reply, that might work I would need to buy a lot but it is do able.

5. Failing that, you could use some kitchen scales to weigh out sand bags 500g each.

6. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

This just occurred to me, so forgive me if it is not in a fully-formed lesson plan yet!

Water bottles are plentiful in schools (as is water). This is a great opportunity to talk about the mass of water as it relates to its volume. For example, conveniently one litre of water has a mass of exactly 1kg, so a 500ml bottle weighs exactly 0.5kg or 500g.
    Of course, you would have to compensate for the bottle itself, perhaps by putting an identical (but empty bottle) on the other side of the balance.
    Cross-curricular with Science, too!

7. coco and crusty

Now that is a plan! Thank you so much I can put something together now. You are a real life saver.

8. coco and crusty

That's an idea for my higher's thanks

9. Always happy to help! :D

10. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

You're welcome; I know how it feels to be stuck for inspiration. (I know it too well, sadly!) Let us know how the lesson goes, And if it is a disaster and they threw water around the room, I will of course request that this is thread pulled, and deny all knowledge of the suggestion.
    Night Night!

11. coco and crusty

Thanks, they are a pretty good bunch so hopefully no water throwing [​IMG] Night night