1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

maths help ks1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by coffeecakes, Feb 15, 2012.

1. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

Do you teach co-ordinates at ks1? I am looking to stretch my HA y2s in a series of lessons on position and direction. According to the level descriptors co-ordinates on a grid do not come in until level 4, but I have seen them in the past on level 3 ks1 papers. Ks1 teachers, do you teach them?

2. coffeecakes

Do you teach co-ordinates at ks1? I am looking to stretch my HA y2s in a series of lessons on position and direction. According to the level descriptors co-ordinates on a grid do not come in until level 4, but I have seen them in the past on level 3 ks1 papers. Ks1 teachers, do you teach them?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I did last term. When the main body of the class were working on finding objects on a grid (square A3, B7, etc) the more able were using co-ordinates. Co-ordinates are level 3 in the NC.

4. coffeecakes

Thank you minnieminx. Can you point me to exactly where in the NC it says that co-ordinates are level 3, I looked in level descriptors for shape and space and could not see it.

5. coffeecakes

In the number and algebra section at level 4 it says that " Pupils use and interpret coordinates in the first quadrant". I can't find it at level 3 but why then is it in a level 3 paper?

6. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

I did with most of mine last term as they found l2 stuff very easy.

7. Yep. It is in the L3 SATs paper that we use (2007) and to be honest, most of my MA children get it too - its a fairly simple concept.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We use this document to plan from:

https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/learning/west_sussex_grid_for_learning/curriculum/mathematics/primary_mathematics/assessment/progression_through_sublevels.aspx

You need to click on the supporting document link.

Page 24 has co-ords in level 3.