1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Graduate Teaching Options?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Baresi6, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Baresi6

Baresi6 New commenter

Hi, I graduated with a Master's in mathematics and have been unsure on which career path to take. For the last 3 months I have been offering private maths tuition but I need something more full-time. I have no teaching qualifications but I do have some experience and I have found some jobs where this appears to be sufficient given that I have a degree. I don't really see myself teaching in the long-term but I would like to give it a try. I'm not entirely sure where the best place to look is or whether it will be difficult to get a job without a teaching qualification so any advice is appreciated.

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You can't get a job in a maintained school - or indeed some Independents - without a teaching qualification. You could look for posts as an unqualified in academies, free schools, or some Indies, but bear in mind you would be paid less.

You could contact your local ITT provider. School Direct might be the better option for you rather than a PGCE. I would try and get in some local schools to do some observations. However, you need to be sure you really want to do this. Teaching is a tough job - and the best job! - but if you really are not sure, you may find you become disheartened. On the other hand, you could find you love it.

Look into your ITTs. Good luck!

3. Baresi6

Baresi6 New commenter

Thanks. I don't really want to do any qualifications because I don't really see it as a career for me, particularly if I can get a job right now without any. And there appear to be a few - I guess they must be independents. I actually have an interview for one so I'll see how that goes.

I've also signed up to an agency who reckon they can get me a decent amount of cover work so I'm just checking out my options. I'd preferably like to teach Maths, maybe as a TA or tutoring type work in schools?

4. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

So you don't want to get a qualification because you don't see it as a viable career for you. But you still want to teach. OK.

You are unlikely to get tutoring work in schools, and there is a lot of competition for TA posts.

Good luck with your interview for the Independent.