1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths GCSE Videos

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by JackEducation, Jun 28, 2020 at 4:37 PM.

1. JackEducation

JackEducation New commenter

Hello fellow teachers and educators.

This situation of quarantine and distance learning has encouraged me to create GCSE topic by topic videos, covering all exam boards.

I've focused on making the videos as clear and concise as possible. A lot of effort and research has gone into creating good sound and video quality.

Videos take about 2 - 3 hours to make and are 3 - 9 minutes long. They are organised in playlists and categories so that is easy for users to find what they are looking for.

They are for ALL teachers/pupils/schools to use, free of charge.

I'm 33 videos in, should finish all of Algebra within a week. The rest of the course will take 2 - 3 months to finish or about 250 videos in total.

This is the channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLwT5IHAEFuAPb6qU5C-wjg

Here is example video 1

This is example video 2

And finally video 3

I welcome any questions, comments or advice you may have.

Kind regards,

Jed

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020 at 4:44 PM
  2. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

How are they taking 2-3 hours to make?

Maybe my videos are really low quality but a 10 minute video generally takes me 10 minutes to record, maybe 15 if there are mistakes to clean up. Question selection I have my website for and doesn't take long, maybe 5 minutes.

Editing takes 5 minutes which is stitching on the intro/outro and cutting out any mistakes. Rendering the video takes 10 minutes and uploading can be over an hour but you don't have to be at the PC for those. YouTube details and Thumbnails take 5 minutes each.

So 35 minutes at the PC?

Here are mine for reference, I've nearly finished the GCSE Number topic:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRxZImPZ-1zH6P4xVIREAOQ/videos

You may be able to drastically improve your working processes to speed this up.

3. JackEducation

First of all. You're videos are NOT low quality at all. They're actually decent.

I was wondering the same thing. Why is it taking me so long to produce a video? So I made notes about my last video production.

To summarise:

1. Images required for the video (number line/graphs/geogebra)

2. Editing images on Photoshop so it takes up the correct amount of space on the video

3. A 5 minute video takes 15 to 20 minutes to shoot. Mistakes are made sometimes but most of the time, I'm saying too much and have to rephrase an explanation so that it uses the least amount of words to convey the most amount of knowledge. The current generation want things to be concise and quick as possible

4. Sound editing (This is fairly quick but still part of the production)

5. Cutting out and deciding which parts/explanations to use (this takes quite some time)

6. Rendering takes like 5 to 10 minutes on average for HD videos

7. Uploading to youtube + writing in additional tags (I have a tag templates + video description templates that I add unique phrases for each video)

Thumbnail is done while the video is being processed so I guess it doesn't really count.

The videos that require graphs and images tend to take longer. But algebraic expressions, numbers, ratios and other topics that can be explained well with a board pen take less time.

I guess it's that phenomenon where the amount of effort required to increase quality by 1% increases exponentially as you approach 100%. Not saying I've reached anywhere near 100% but the current level is what I'm satisfied with.

Thanks for the comment by the way. Appreciate it.

4. SparkMaths

So I think the difference is:

1) Recording x3-4 more than you need and editing it down.

Not a big deal when it increases a 5 minute shoot to 20 minutes, but it's a big deal when the editing means spending another 30 minutes on top of that cutting lots of bits out and reordering them.

The trick to YouTube is recording everything in one go and not doing too much in editing. It's faster to just record a 5 minute video for a second time instead of spending probably more than 5 minutes editing it to be shorter.

I do cut bits out when I make a mistake, I make it obvious for the editing software by not talking for 10 seconds so the place to edit is obvious on the sound timeline. I don't actually watch the rest of my footage, I trust that the software worked properly otherwise I'd use different software.

2) Using and editing images.

I think you can streamline your processes here. I use the snip tool (Windows+Shift+S) to cut out an image from wherever I'm getting it from, then paste it directly into whatever I'm working in (PowerPoint for the channel I linked).

Not sure what you are using it for but photoshop is very slow for simple tasks, it's for much more complicated graphic design. As I type this I'm wondering why I'm using it to make thumbnails, I could do it in PowerPoint faster and snip the slide into MS Paint to save it.

Your graphs look amazing so you may want to ignore this advice and have such clarity as your USP, but I would be looking to hand write as much as possible to cut down the number of images, button clicks or repositioning of elements needed. For example I would be handwriting coordinates, but then again the way you did it does look perfectly clear and beautiful!

It's very true that a small quality increase requires exponentially more work, you have to compromise with whatever keeps you sane. I remember making detailed PowerPoints for hours as an NQT when I could have just handwritten on the board.

I don't do any sound editing so I'm interested in what you do, I have good equipment but I'm probably not using it right!

5. JackEducation

Thank you for the advice! I think you're right, I need to shorten the total length of the clips in order to reduce editing time. I tend to watch through my entire clip and edit as I go along. I've uploaded videos with one or two mistakes before. The process of taking down the video, editing then re-uploading is demoralising and something I've been able to avoid by watching through the entire clip.

The more videos I make, the more I rely on editing mistakes out. The next video will be on quadratic inequalities I'll time how long it one takes with what you've recommended.

I use similar software to the snipping tool. It depends on the image whether I use photoshop or not. I don't do anything fancy, but being able to export the image in certain sizes whilst retaining the quality of the image is something Photoshop does well.

I use adobe audio to edit the sound. Nothing major but enough to notice a difference.

1. I edit the background sound out (computer fan noise, mouse clicks, writing on the tablet with a stylus)
    2. I then compress the audio
    3. Followed by a hard limiter (-6 DB)
    4. Finally, a noise gate (-39 DB) to eliminate all the small breathing that takes place.
    Might be overkill for some, but it gives me a sound quality I'm happy with and takes a few minutes if no mistakes are made.

I checked out your website which is very user friendly and I love how it links to the videos for that topic.

6. SparkMaths

Thanks!

Does Adobe Audio edit out fan noise and pen clicks automatically? I want to do that but haven't figured out how in Lightworks which I use to edit the videos.

7. JackEducation

It does! There is an effect called "noise reduction" that takes care of background noise.