1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths GCSE as an independent candidate

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by starsinmycrown, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Hi there,
    I'm currently studying a maths GCSE evening class, with the AQA. This is the third time around on this course for me and I'm doing it for a PGCE.
    However, I'm unhappy with the college's attitude - my college is in a rough area, 15 miles from my home (the only place I could get foundation) and I do not drive. The class finishes at 9.30pm, i normally have to walk part of the way home, and i have missed a few sessions. They are sending me letters rollocking me and threatening to take my place from the course - which I find appalling on an adult course. I'm getting sick of it. I dread going to this class and it's zapping the little enthusiasm i had for the course.
    I work in a school and I know some nice people in the maths dept who say they can help and somebody offered to tutor me, but we generally do the EdExcel board.
    I was wondering if, given that I've done the first part of the AQA exam already at my nightclass, could i transfer as an independent candidate and study at home?
    What are my options?
    Thanks!

2. Yes, you can. You need to make entry arrangements with a school/college suitable for your travel purposes.
    We've had a number of independent candidates here.

3. can i do this even if i've done the first part the exam at another college, then say, do the second part at my own community college? What are the dates for last entry to the next two modules?

4. DM

DM New commenter