1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Games

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by brookes, Jan 2, 2012.

1. I might have misunderstood what you're after ("most games require internet access"?) but pen-and-paper, domino and card games go down well. I find whole class games more productive and calmer though. Use giant dice and cards etc so that you can manage the turns. Another two minute time-filler is throwing some daft object such as a small teddy around and counting out a sequence or answering your quick-fire questions.

2. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

As brookes said why not try some pencil and paper games for example? Maybe try Sprouts, I have a link to some instructions here.
    Number puzzles would be possible on paper, you could use the make a number type problems or Countdown with targets and numbers chosen by you if necessary to suit your class.
    Nim would be possible with counters - or on paper.
    There have been several threads on here where people have made suggestions for games in class - so worth a search if you have not done so already.

3. If you go to nrich.org and search under games you will find plenty of excellent ideas.

4. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

I'll second the nrich recommendation - there are numerous nrich links on the pages I have linked to in my post above.

5. I often make up games for the pupils.
    Think what you're trying to teach, add an element of luck - or skill.
    Use a tried and tested format: cards, dice, team game, first to finish...
    Off you go.
    If they think it's a game even the most boring stuff can be interesting! (well most...)