1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths games with reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by dizzielizzie2001uk, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Hi everyone
    im trying to think of fun maths games i can play with my reception class as a starter activity before they go and choose activities to do or when ive got a psre 5 minutes with them. does anyone have any fun games they play with reception children? so far ive thought of ping pong which can be played with any theme (you say ping the childrne say pong then repeat then say a number and the childrne say the number that comes next/double/one more or less/shape with that many sides etc)
    also i play games where i use magic pots and wizard hats where the childrne have to add 2 ingredients together or take ingredients out etc..
    guess the number: have a number on the IWB hidden and the children have to ask questions to guess the number.

does anyone have any more games they play with recption children or older childrne that can be adapted please?

many thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Hi everyone
    im trying to think of fun maths games i can play with my reception class as a starter activity before they go and choose activities to do or when ive got a psre 5 minutes with them. does anyone have any fun games they play with reception children? so far ive thought of ping pong which can be played with any theme (you say ping the childrne say pong then repeat then say a number and the childrne say the number that comes next/double/one more or less/shape with that many sides etc)
    also i play games where i use magic pots and wizard hats where the childrne have to add 2 ingredients together or take ingredients out etc..
    guess the number: have a number on the IWB hidden and the children have to ask questions to guess the number.

does anyone have any more games they play with recption children or older childrne that can be adapted please?

many thanks in advance! [​IMG]

3. my class love playing "tens and out"...they stand up in a circle..and take it in turns to count...going around the circle and can say either 1 number or 2
    (for example)
    child 1: 1
    child 2: 2,3
    child 3: 4,5
    child 4: 6, 7
    child 5: 8
    child 6: 9, 10!
    and the child who is AFTER the person who just said 10...is out and has to sit down..and counting starts again! So they have to try and work out whether to say 1 number or 2 in order to keep themselves in (mine havent quite got that far yet and havent worked out that they can actually work out a way to keep themselves in the game..they just enjoy counting!) You can extend it and let them have a choice of saying 3 numbers...or count up to 20 etc.

4. byjingo

byjingo New commenter

We sing number bonds to 10 to the tune of Frere Jacques......
    6 add 4
    children repeat 6 add 4
    4 add 6
    children repeat 4 add 6
    Add them both together
    children repeat
    That make 10
    children repeat
    i suppose you could also do it to 20

5. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

Thats a nice game byjingo.
    Lucy-its sounds good but a bit too complicated.
    thanks

6. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

Sorry Lucy, that sounded rude. I should have said it sounded complicated for my chn.
    sam