1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths games/creative activity for transition

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sarahlouxx, Jun 30, 2015.

1. sarahlouxx

sarahlouxx New commenter

Hi

I am a very nervous NQT about to do a transistion morning with (soon to be) year 5 in a new school.

I was emailed a timetable and a list of suggested activities. I have chosen my writing on but it wont take very long. So the other other suggestions are maths games or creative activity.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have seen bunting and things and have considered that but im not sure.

What maths games could all children access and gain something from?

2. I'm currently having a similar problem! Currently in Year 4 and moving to Year 5. I know in Year 4 they looked at angles, but not measuring them with a protractor. So I am planning for maths part of the day to design our own Angry Bird level (all the kids are pretty familiar with this game!) using protractors to measure and label angles.

Battleships is very good for co-ordinates and in Year 4 we've just done translation and played battleships to reintroduce co-ordinates to them.

3. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Where to even start with this! Nervous times, for sure, so I would go in for some sort of fun team quiz activity, maybe in small teams, so you can get to know them a bit and how they interact.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I've just done 'magic Vs' (see NRich Maths) with my prospective Year 5s. Lots of potential approaches and discoveries to be made as well as identifying basic skills of children. I extended it for my bright ones to using x like in magic squares.