1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Framework or not in Reception????

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kaz_allan, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Can anyone share what they use to teach maths in reception. Do you use and follow the framework document, numeracy strategy or other? Or do you just plan in maths using the dev matters/FSP statements and use this where and when it fits with the childrens learning?
    i would really like to clear this confusion up so that we can do the right thing.

Thank you

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The statutory requirement for reception is to plan using the EYFS document (PSRN) so you must follow that. Your school/head may expect you to use the framework but there is no legal requirement to do so.

3. I'm thinking of trying the Hamilton Trust maths plans for reception this year- has anyone else used these? If so what did you think of them?

4. I find it extremely useful to follow a structured programme of study for PSRN. Maths consultants in my LA worked with a number of EY practitioners to develop this PoS, although EY Consultants didn't like it much, having refused all invitations to work with the Maths team on it.
    I have uploaded some of my maths planning on tes resources, although I'm spectacularly bad at putting up the links to help people find resources. Clicking on my user name would take you to it if you are interested in looking.
    I know this is not necessarily going to suit everyone's way of planning and working, but a structure for phonics teaching seems to work very well and I think the same goes for PSRN. This structured approach does not detract from the informal planned and unplanned opportunities that our children have to develop their mathematical understanding and skills.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

truthfully?
    atrocious

6. I use Boo Zoo by Neil Griffiths - its great and all the resources are included as well as planning structures via the strand or book
    http://www.boozoo.net/
    It great value for money and my chidlren really like the characters and resources
    Littlestones