1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths framework end of unit assessments - to help with APPs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bigbop, Dec 4, 2010.

1. bigbop

bigbop New commenter

Hi

Has anyone used any publihsed end of unit maths assessments to help with APPs? We are just starting APPs for all children in Maths and would like to do an assessment at the end of each unit to aid with APPs. If anyone can recommend some they've used we could perhaps look to buy some for the school. I'm especially interested in years 5 & 6.

Thanks

2. bigbop

bigbop New commenter

Hi

Has anyone used any publihsed end of unit maths assessments to help with APPs? We are just starting APPs for all children in Maths and would like to do an assessment at the end of each unit to aid with APPs. If anyone can recommend some they've used we could perhaps look to buy some for the school. I'm especially interested in years 5 & 6.

Thanks

3. The modilearning is well worth a go. I'm a secondary school AST and part of my outreach work has been to work with primary colleagues on the introduction of APP. The APP Maths Toolkit has been great in that the assessments are written to give an exact match to the Assessment Foci. The assessments are all absolutely spot on and the schools I've worked with love it.

4. bigbop

bigbop New commenter

That's great. I'll see if the school will consider using. Thanks.

5. bigbop

bigbop New commenter

By the way...is anyone else using these? How would you rate them?

6. We've been using the APP Maths toolkit for a while and have found it incredibly useful. The assessments that they provide are excellent as they cover all the criteria individually. So I don't have to go through an exercise I already have trying to work out which bits fit which target which used to take ages!

Also the spreadsheet that comes with it has saved a lot of time even though we now record results for the whole class rather than just 5 pupils as we were doing before.

7. erialcrobo

erialcrobo New commenter

Should we be doing end of unit assessments? I thought that the whole point of APP was to assess as we went along?

8. Yes, APP is about using every day opportunities for assessment. It also means giving pupils different ways in which to enjoy success.

The APP Toolkit has been great in that it has allowed us to vary our form of assessment. Sometimes we use slides and mini-whiteboards to quickly assess a class. Sometimes we use the activities to give the pupils a chance to work in a group and talk about their maths (these are particularly good for testing understanding). The final strand has been the worksheets mentioned by jr216.

I didn't read from jr216's post that they were doing end of unit assessments or tests. I think all the poster was pointing out is that it's handy to have resources that help with APP judgements rather than wading through endless moderation meetings and agonising over what a Level 4 'looks like'.

9. Sorry- I just re-read my post and it wasn't very clear.

We use the APP Maths Toolkit for in lesson assessments rather than end of unit tests etc. It has taken some getting used to in terms of trusting the marks we pass between us but that is where the toolkit has been really useful.

For every objective covered by APP (which is a bit over 200) the toolkit has a few resources that we use in lessons. As we all use the same resources we know we don't need to have moderation meetings to allow us to know that we are all making the same judgments.

I should mention that I had to write some reports a couple of weeks ago and the targets that their recording spreadsheet generated were fantastic! Every pupil had subject specific targets that I could put straight into their reports. The best thing was that I didn't have to go trawlling through my mark book and attempt to remember what all my abbreviations meant.