1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths for R/Y1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by DebbieR, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I'm trying different ways of teaching maths for this age group (now my 3rd yr with this particular age group). In previous years, I have taught either R or Yr1 for a week, with my TA taking the other group and then swapping over the next week. This has been fine, but I worry about progress. This term I am trying to teach them together, but so far, the planning for it and the actual teaching of it doesn't feel 'right' and I'm feeling really frustrated that I can't figure this out!
    Can anyone offer any advice? Do you teach R/Yr1 together? If so, how do you do it? I'm in a small school so space is limited. If I try to continue teaching Yr1 while R are involved in CI activities, the environment isn't helpful to learning for those Year 1's.
    I can't seem to find anything on the web and am really surprised that there hasn't been more guidance on this mixed age range. It seems to be one of the trickiest I have taught. I try to do my best and a lot of the time it's about balancing curriculums, but just want to try and improve things further.
    Any guidance greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    D

2. Hi all,
    I'm trying different ways of teaching maths for this age group (now my 3rd yr with this particular age group). In previous years, I have taught either R or Yr1 for a week, with my TA taking the other group and then swapping over the next week. This has been fine, but I worry about progress. This term I am trying to teach them together, but so far, the planning for it and the actual teaching of it doesn't feel 'right' and I'm feeling really frustrated that I can't figure this out!
    Can anyone offer any advice? Do you teach R/Yr1 together? If so, how do you do it? I'm in a small school so space is limited. If I try to continue teaching Yr1 while R are involved in CI activities, the environment isn't helpful to learning for those Year 1's.
    I can't seem to find anything on the web and am really surprised that there hasn't been more guidance on this mixed age range. It seems to be one of the trickiest I have taught. I try to do my best and a lot of the time it's about balancing curriculums, but just want to try and improve things further.
    Any guidance greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    D

3. I would love to know how to do this! I am in the same position as you, except I have a TA for a very limited time, a couple of hours here and there a week.

P

4. pete72

pete72 New commenter

i teach mixed Yr 1/R too. I do input together then split up to do different things. The one thing that has been brill this year for us ( and I appreciate everyone is different) are our Challenges. Each week The YR1s are given 5 challenges around the class. It takes a while for them to get used to it ..but give it a go. Each challenge is related to whatever was learnt last week or they need to improve on in order that they can do these challenges independently. In one week there maybe a numeracy challenge ( this weeks was match the numerals to the number names) a lit challenge( make real and not real words from the word dinosaur....great practice for that useless test that is coming up)It is so so boring when you are in the middle of working with a another group on something else and they don't understand what they have to do. It consolidates learning and minimises them doing the same things again and again in the sand or the water or wherever. We use talk-tins ( google them)with each challenge on too, so the children can hear what they are meant to do, without keep asking an adult. We get them to self assess challenges too. Look on abcdoes blog...i think there is more on there too ( natch)

5. we do a similar thing with a 'learning passport' for YR1 with different activities they have to complete each week, they love it