1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths for Preschool

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by leahannabelle, Oct 6, 2018.

1. leahannabelle

leahannabelle New commenter

Hi everyone, I've just started a new job as a TA in a preschool. I have been given the role of mathematics development. I have found some printable of rhymes for number formation. Can anyone point me in the right direction of other resources or activities I can use? Also what kind of things should preschool children be expected to know?

Thanks in advance :)

2. squashball

squashball Occasional commenter

Number formation and recognition is not part of the EYs curriculum and is the very very last thing children should be looking at in a preschool. Lots of songs and rhymes, as you have already established - these should be up around the setting with moving interactive parts (sausages in a pan, ten green bottles, frogs on a log etc.) Counting is important and getting them to do this carefully during the course of their day in meaningful ways are many (how many apples, are there enough etc). You could focus on 1:1 understanding (children are often not very good at counting things accurately) as well as counting things which can't be touched (such as noises or jumps). You should be referring to Development Matters to work out what are the milestones and there is a lot of information in the EYFS curriculum. "Get me 5 pencils" is a good way of establishing cardinality and asking children to estimate is good for assessing their number sense. But this is a big old area and you could years of research.

yalisrib likes this.
  3. leahannabelle

thank you for your reply! what do you suggest doing on a 1:1 basis? having a number of objects and asking children to count.. does this sound about right? Also development matters states at 30-50 months children should recite numbers 1-10.. what would you suggest for this? as I thought recognising numbers 1-5 would be a starting point for this?

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I'm assuming 'preschool' is 2-4 year olds? Or 3-4 year olds?
    Number formation is totally inappropriate. The vast majority won't be able to count yet, nor hold a pencil!

Look here to see what they should be doing and ways to enable them to learn. You will be mostly looking at 22-36 months and 30-50 months. Maths isn't until about page 32.

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Do you have any training you can access?
    Please avoid worksheets and keep it all practical especially for shape space and measure activities. This will guarantee children lose the will to live when it comes to maths .
    I'd start with looking at the expectation and then looking at your resources. Consider the maths that can happen in every day activities like snack time or tidying up. A song bank is good , make sure you have songs that count up as well as down.
    I'd highly recommend Carole Skinner "foundations of maths in the early years." Packed with ideas and an easy read.

6. leahannabelle

I will look at the book thankyou! Maths in every day activities already happens, I’m just looking for other ideas, which i can invite children to in small groups like games etc.

7. leahannabelle

I have fully read Development Matters, thankyou :)

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

9. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

"Recite numbers 1-10" means that the child can say 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 (in the correct order, without missing any out, etc). It is nothing to do with recognising numerals. As already suggested, songs and rhymes are an excellent starting point for this objective.

10. EMANON

EMANON New commenter

Two good resources: 'Order! Order!' by Troubador Books for counting rhymes and 'Number Shapes' by The Choir Press for number recognition.

11. EMANON

EMANON New commenter

Two good resources: 'Order! Order!' by Troubador Books for counting rhymes and 'Number Shapes' by The Choir Press for number recognition.

12. EMANON

EMANON New commenter

Contrary to what has been said above, number recognition is part of the EYFS curriculum. Here is a direct quote:

•Recognise some numerals of personal significance.
    •Recognises numerals 1 to 5.

•Counts up to three or four objects by saying one number name for each item.
    •Counts actions or objects which cannot be moved.
    •Counts objects to 10, and beginning to count beyond 10.
    •Counts out up to six objects from a larger group.

13. caterpillartobutterfly

No one has said number recognition isn't part of EYFS, but that number formation is not.
    Also the OP is in a preschool, so most children will be working within 30-50 months, not the 40-60 months you have quoted in part.

14. EMANON

EMANON New commenter

Quote: Number formation and recognition is not part of the EYs curriculum

15. caterpillartobutterfly

But as I've pointed out, recognising numerals to five by the end of reception class, is not the same as teaching the writing of numbers in preschool.

16. ChanChan123

ChanChan123 New commenter

A lot of visual prompts for number would be more helpful than having sitting down 1:1 tasks.

Creating interactive displays for counting and adding number into your routine (counting fruit/ children etc) and into your environment. This will also help adults when interacting.

The more fluid it is in play the more meaningful it'll be!

Hope this helps x