1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Equivalence Test

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by smoore19, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Hi there alana,

Good luck with your test on friday. Which university have you applied to?

I was sent out a sample paper by my uni (newport) so i kind of knew what to expect. The paper i sat yesterday i felt was a little harder than the one they sent though the content and type of questions were the same.

All i can advise is to learn as much as you can, but remember that you don't need to get all of them right so if you have any major weaknesses don't worry too much as long as you can get to grips with the things you find more manageable.
    For example i'm absolutely rubbish at re-arranging equations, so when i say that particular question instead of panicking and wasting time over it i left it completely!!

what i will say is try as much as possible. you can get marks for applying correct theories and showing your working, so even if the answer is wrong you don't come away with nothing.

Just relax and take your time, read through the questions carefully and check, double check and even triple check your answers.

I hope this helps!!!

The best of luck and come back and let us know how you did when you get your results.

I have fingers crossed

:eek:)

2. Hey everyone

just to let you all know I took my test on friday and passed with 85%!!
    It is such a relief to have passed, plus it has given me a confidence boost in preparation for my PGCE

3. CONGRATULATIONS!![​IMG]

I'm still waiting for my result... [​IMG]

Well done and now have a well deserved rest before the madness of the PGCE begins...

Sammie

4. Hi guys,

I just got my result and i passed with 71%!!!

I'm so proud of myself and so so pleased!!!!

We all did it!!!

!CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE

Sammie

5. CONGRATS ONE AND ALL!

Such a relief isn't it? As soon as I get my GTC reg number I'm booking my QTS numeracy test - strike whilst the iron's hot!

Have a relaxing summer now - keep in touch.

SM X

6. Woohoo!!
    I'm lucky, as i'm training in Wales, i don't sit the skills test to reach QTS.
    wishing you much luck...
    Sammie

7. Hey Sammie,

Just thought - if you want to teach in England after graduating you'll have to do the QTS tests anyway! They'll be a doddle to us now though [​IMG]

SM X

8. A word of caution here: GCSEs are standardised, external exams. Equivalency tests are not standardised and are internal to the University or company offering them, so other people's experience may not be comparable to you.
    I think that the course of action you've outlined is the best one; use BBC Bytesize to work on your mental maths skills, and revise each area, then concentrate on the aspect you feel least confident in. From experience, most of my students found calculating fractions and decimals and algebra the most challenging.
    Good luck.

9. As I'm moving to be with my partner in Wales, I won't be coming back to England any time soon, so not too worried about that at the moment...

10. Hiya All,

Congratulations!!!! So glad you guys passed, its a great feeling!!!! Roll on September now!!!!
    L
    x

11. Hi there!

I was wondering if you could help?

I was just wondering was the company you used called equivalencytesting.co.uk?
    How long did you revise for? Also how long did it take for the results to come?
    I am about to do mine and am very nervous!!!

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Thanks
    Tam