1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Equivalence Test

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by smoore19, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Evening all,

I've recently accepted a conditional offer from Leeds Trinity for their SCITT PGCE D&T course (literally cannot wait to get started, fingers crossed!) and have to take their maths equivalence test due to me having a D at GCSE (but meeting all other conditions). I've previously tried to remedy this by completing the City and Guilds Adult Numeracy Levels 1 & 2, but unfortunately they can't accept this as an equivalent to GCSE grade C and above.

Anywho!

Was just wondering if any of you have had any experience of maths equivalence tests? I'm fully expecting it to be very similar to the GCSE exam.

Any helpful hints, tips etc. greatly appreciated!

SM x

2. Evening all,

I've recently accepted a conditional offer from Leeds Trinity for their SCITT PGCE D&T course (literally cannot wait to get started, fingers crossed!) and have to take their maths equivalence test due to me having a D at GCSE (but meeting all other conditions). I've previously tried to remedy this by completing the City and Guilds Adult Numeracy Levels 1 & 2, but unfortunately they can't accept this as an equivalent to GCSE grade C and above.

Anywho!

Was just wondering if any of you have had any experience of maths equivalence tests? I'm fully expecting it to be very similar to the GCSE exam.

Any helpful hints, tips etc. greatly appreciated!

SM x

3. Hi there,

I'm in exactly the same position. I've accepted a conditional place to study secondary PGCE DT at the University of Newport and only having a D in maths means i also have to take the equivalency test. (Though when i sat my maths GCSE it was impossible for me to get a passing C grade as the paper only went up to a D!! [​IMG])
    I had to do a similar test to get onto my degree course at London Met, but this paper was really easy. I'm not expecting this one to be the same.
    I have been in contact with my university to ask for a past paper to be sent to me so that i know what to expect and was told that this should be no problem. Maybe you could do the same.
    I have got myself some GCSE maths revision books, i have found that the green CGP book is the best one that makes everything really clear and easier to understand.
    I'm excited about starting my course too, though am having trouble finding other DT PGCE / GTP students and would love to be able to keep in touch so we can share progress, troubles, resources etc.
    Good luck with your test! (i'm so nervous that i've got this far and will not get on the course because of this!)

Sammie
    [​IMG]

4. Hi. I can't help you with the maths equivalency test but may have some advise. Last September I started a 1 year GCSE in Biology. I gained a place on a Primary PGCE on condition of getting a grade C or above. As the results for the GCSE's don't come out until late August I started to get worried so decided to take the Biology equivalency test also. I took the GCSE one week and the equivalency test the following week. They are very similar in my opinion with regards to the topics covered and the standard required. I would suggest you get a revision guide and just do as many past papers as possible. AQA (if they do maths) have papers on their website to download. Also go onto the BBC and do the bitesize revision and tests.
    I'm sure you will be fine if you put in the work beforehand. I thankfully now have my university place confirmed so it no longer matters if I pass or fail the GCSE exam I sat [​IMG]
    Good luck.

5. Hi,
    I took the maths equivalency test last year and failed miserably! I think you need a 60% to pass, which doesn't sound alot but I got about 27%. I am terrible at maths, I got an E for GCSE. I was dreading the test so I got a tutor which was a huge waste of £300!! I also spent loads on books and all the things needed for the test like scientific calculator and geometry set, etc. Looking back, I wish I hadn't bothered, but at the time I felt like I had to give it a shot to get onto a PGCE course. Like you I had done the City & Guilds Numeracy test and passed, but this equivalency test was way harder. I think it is slightly unfair as it covers the WHOLE GCSE curriculum which is something pupils study over two years in schools. I had about 4 weeks to learn it all. I think the test should just cover about 4 areas from the GCSE and test you on them, instead I had questions on every single part of the GCSE curriculum, so make sure you go over everything. The centre in London where I did it were helpful and gave me past papers, they also give you your results on the same day so you know where you stand. I called the uni where my conditional offer was and asked them if there was any way round it and they said unfortunately not. It was a shame as I was one of 7 chosen from a group interview of 20 at the PGCE interview. Now I have a place on a PGDE in Scotland. For secondary you don't need GCSE maths which makes more sense! There are also no numeracy tests needed to qualify as a teacher. AND in scotland you get a guranteed NQT year. I wish you loads of luck for the maths test, just make sure you practice lots and understand how to work everything on the syllabus out.

6. OMG[​IMG]
    I'm petrified now that i'm going to fail this test!! I've got so much riding on it as i've quit my job to do the course and i'm moving my entire life 200 miles away to be with my boyfriend!! i can't afford a tutor and struggle to find the time to cram in a whole two years worth of learning into the time i have till the test (though i still don't know when it is!![​IMG]) as i work full time and spend a lot of time travelling to and from work.
    I don't know what i'd do if i didn't get on the course after all the preperation i've done and organising my primary observation and everything.
    I feel like crying.

7. If you have already passed one maths test to get on the course, you might do better at the equivalency. Plus you got a D for GCSE, I got an E! Just spend a few hours a day revising, go through everything and spend longer on the bits you don't get. Someone told me that anyone can do maths, its just like learning an instrument, you have to practice every day. Go to GCSE Bitesize and do their GCSE maths quizzes, and look for any similar things on the internet. The more past papers you do, the more you will realise where your strengths are. Don't think about failing, but remember there is always another way to train to be a teacher if you do.

8. Thanks DN

the last maths test i sat was four or five years ago now but it was so simple and i know that this one is going to be so much harder.

I've been working through the bite size website maths area as well as going through practice papers that came with my revision pack, but it's still extremely daunting! Maths had always been my weak spot but funnily enough you mention the music as I've been a French horn player since I was 8!! If only it was a music test lol

I know I've just got to keep my mind focussed and not think about the possibility of failing but keep positive and do the best i can. after all, I can only do my best...

9. Thanks ever so much for all your replies, it's good to know that I'm not the only one in this position!

Thankfully the uni has been quite proactive and have sent me their syllabus and sample questions. I've been working my way through a GCSE revision guide and workbook, and with only three weeks until D Day I've broken my revision down into four main parts: number and algebra this week and shape, space and measures and handling data next week. Finally I'm spending the week before the test just doing practice exams, making sure I manage my time well!

Maths has always been my Achilles heel, but I'm determined to beat it! Failure is not an option, can't bear the thought of not starting in September, especially as I got through a diagnostic English test (in which I have an A at GCSE) and two rounds of interviews!

I'm just trying to stay focussed and calm, in between the moments of fear and panic!

Good luck to those of you doing the tests soon!

SM x

10. Hiya,
    I can compltetly relate to your situation! I got offered a place to do PGCE EY in Januray provided I got GCSE Maths equivilant. I used a compnay called equvilancy testing and got a tutor to achieve this, I passed 6 weeks ago!!! So it is possible, like you I ot a D 12 yrs ago, this time I got a B!!!!
    However, it is not a short cut, the test is GCSE standard and covered most aspects of the syllabus. The positive here is that you only get one or two qestions on each area. I used the CPG revision guide for higher level, it was fab and straight forward. the green one will give you a clearer understandng of simpler concepts (!) Bitesize is also great and very clear.
    My advice would be revise something each night, definatly get to grips with percentages, ratios, mean, median and mode. In addition (no pun intended!!) practice long division, fractions, decimals, pythagorous and trig. My pass rate had to be 55%. Try to remember this as it reduces the pressure, you need to get just over half right, that IS achievable!!!!
    I wish you so much luck.......Maths has always been my weakness but it is do-able!!!!! Fingers and toes crossed!!!

L
    X

11. Hi Laura,

Thanks so much for your positive comments. I was on my way to a nervous breakdown!!
    Maths has always been my biggest hurdle but i'm determined not to let it ruin my life by stopping me from achieving what i want in life. I know this sounds very dramatic, but i so want to be a teacher and this is the only thing standing in my way.
    When you look at the numbers (sorry lol) 55% is achievable.
    So, I'm going to study hard. Get all the help i can from those maths wizards around me, and pass that test!! [​IMG]

12. smoore19 and s4mm13 come back and let us know how you got on with it. Good luck!

13. Laura - totally agree with Sammie, so good to hear something positive! You must be so relieved. I just want to get it over and done with now.

DN - will do! Thankyou!

SM [​IMG] X

14. Hi SM,

How's your maths coming on?

What date is your test? I've provisionally booked mine for the 19th July.

I've been working hard and got lots of help and feel like i'm getting better, all be it slowly. I

I'll let you know how i got on.

Keep in touch

Sammie
    xx

15. I did the equivalency test. I failed the GCSE twice back in the dark ages.
    I got a friend to coach me and I got a revision guide, I found it much easier as an adult. Once you get your head round the theories the numbers tend to be small.
    I have been teaching 4 years now
    Good luck

16. Hi all!

Did my equivalency test today and passed with flying colours! The examiner even tried to poach me for the PGCE Maths course! It was a lot easier than I imagined. Doing nothing but solid revision for a month has certainly paid off. Can finally relax over the summer now. Cannot wait to get started in September!

Good luck Sammie - revise and you'll be fine.

Thanks for all your advice and support.

SM X

17. Congratulations SM!! Really well done [​IMG]

Mine is coming up in a couple of weeks (19th) and i'm doing all the revision i can manage. Lets hope i have the same good news to share after i get my results back. I have to wait up to a week for mine though [​IMG]

So pleased for you SM. Now relax and wait for september to roll around!!

Sammie

18. Hey Sammie,

Hope today went well and wasn't too horrible! I'm sure you did just fine. Let us know the result when you get it!

SM X

19. Thanks SM!
    Not sure how i did... i know i got some right and i got some wrong, i just have to hope that the right outweighs the wrong. Shell let you know how i did when i hear back...
    Sammie
    x

20. Hey
    I have mine on friday. I did a practise test and I think I got just about what I need to pass. So just trying to cram some last information in this week. I have to wait a week for my results as well which I think I will find tough.
    Sammie - was it how you expected?
    Any advice you can pass on would be gratefully received! [​IMG]