1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths/English or Literacy/Numeracy?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by NQT1986, Jul 7, 2011.

1. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

There was a marvellous post on here about this last year and having called maths 'maths' for the last few years, I went the whole hog this year and ditched literacy, too! I had English lessons in English books and it was brilliant. Nobody has told me off and even Ofsted didn't bat an eyelid!

Did anyone else join me...!?

2. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

Yup. It has been English all year.

3. I saw that post too!
    I've taught English and Maths this year, no one said a word. Even the kids did not question it. Just need to make sure that this year the children's books say English and Maths. My books were already labelled when I joined the school saying Literacy and Numeracy...

4. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

Maths and English for me and my Upper KS2 colleague, think the rest of the school still call it Lit and Num!

5. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Always been maths and English for me ...

6. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Definitely English and Maths. If anyone asks I just explain the differences, ie Literacy is only reading and writing and does not include s/l or drama. Numeracy just means numbers and we all know that the maths curriculum is wider than that.

7. essentiallyprincess

essentiallyprincess New commenter

Just graduated and applying for NQT posts. I automatically call them Maths and English - like I have always called them - like I was taught on the teaching degree to call them. I have to change in some placement schools when had blank faces. Missed the original thread you mention but in uni we were told old framework numeracy strategy new framework mathematics. Therefore as far as I see schools who still call it lit/num are just 4 years behind. In fairness things change so quick ....nah don't get it. How on earth do you cover speaking and listening in literacy?

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have to say I mix and match a bit. I do have year 6 and they know that maths/numeracy is the same lesson and literacy/English is the same lesson. They aren't fussed about whether it is strictly correct or not.

Moving to year 2 in September, so might need to pick one or other and stick with it. Will do whatever my partner teacher wants as: 1) she is more senior to me and 2) I don't actually mind all that much.

9. Hmmm, well we've moved away from 'Numeracy' and are now doing 'Maths', but unfortunately Literacy has not followed suit for some reason.

10. According to the NC (the legal bit) we should be teaching maths and English.

11. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Umm... I tend to use 'Language' and maths. Sometimes the children's Welsh work is in their language books.