1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths doubling and halving and sequences resources- please help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, May 2, 2011.

1. Hi. I'm a trainee teacher on my final block placement and in one of my maths lessons this week, I'm having practising doubling and halving decimals as my starter and then they are practising counting in decimal steps e.g. 0.4 or 0.09. It's a year 5 class. I know that whatever I find online, I will need to adapt for the children in my class but can anyone direct me to relevant worksheets I could adapt please and also to a fun game involving doubling and halving? I like to make my lessons very interactive and have things for the children to do, rather than just listening to me all the time. I have a few final year exams in a month and I want to get faster and preparing resources so that I have more time to revise because I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I can imagine that some children will find completing the sequences difficult. The year 5 children are split into different ability groups and I have the middle group, but I taught them about decimals last week and some children struggled with it (e.g. with knowing the value of each digit). I want to bring it across in a meaningful way but if I can find some good websites to give me resource ideas or resources I can adapt, that would be fantastic because I'm teaching 80% of the time and I feel like I'm doing nothing but working. I'm tired of having hardly any time to revise each day so can anyone suggest any resources I could use please for this maths lesson, to speed me along? I normally make them from scratch and differentiate, but I'm tired of reinventing the wheel for every lesson. Thanks in advance.

2. They really struggled with finding the midpoint on a number line last lesson so do you think it would right for me to go over that again tomorrow? I don't want to move on before they have grasped it but at the same time, the teacher has seen and checked my planning already and it's done for the week. They are good at rounding numbers and their understanding of place value and the value of each digit has improved over the last week. It was tomorrow's lesson that I intended to practice doubling and halving decimals for the starter activity and to move on to counting from any given number in whole-number decimal steps for the main and independent activities. I could easily do the doubling and halving starter activity on Wednesday but does it matter that the input and main activity are not exactly related? I don't want to spend a whole lesson on finding the midpoint on a number line. I think if I modelled this again with more examples and gave them some kind of quick group activity to practise this then it would be likely to help them and then we could do sequences for the main. I still need to think of a plenary. Does anyone have any activity idease please for any part of the lesson? Making up sheets requiring them to complete sequences shouldn't take long but I gave them worksheets all last week and while it's good to practice, I'm keen to try different approaches. What would anyone suggest please? I really need replies asap if anyone has advice. Thanks

3. *it would <u>be </u>right. Sorry for any errors. I typed it very quickly.

4. inq

inq

Can you use money? 1 bar of chocolate costs &pound;0.69 how much are 2? 2 t-shirts are &pound;6.52, How much is 1?
    Children don't seem to have too much trouble with 2dp when money is invloved and it is a practical application.

5. Thanks for the suggestion! I've been thinking the same thing. When it's put into a meaningful context they seem to understand it much better.

6. It doesn't matter if your m/o starter is on a different topic to your main lesson objective at all.
    Also, I agree with inq: if you've done lots of written practise, now is the time for some real-life application. If you don't fancy using the context of money, how about children throwing a bean bag and measuring the distance in metres and cms (e.g. 4.25m). They could order their different distances, work out how much further they would need to throw to get to the next whole metre... you could do loads with it, and get a few shape space and measure objectives into the lesson too.

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Have a look at this doubling machine. You, or a child inputs the number, then the children have to try to beat the machine with their answer. The class could do show me on their whiteboards. It will take whole numbers and decimals to one place. You can force 2 decimal places, but you have to input .56 for example, it won't take 1.56. You can set it to auto which will keep doubling without any input, or by step. Have a look and play. It could be used as a starter or plenary activity.
    http://ngfl.northumberland.gov.uk/maths/num%20machine/double.html
    Worth having a look at this too which is shopping at a burger bar:
    http://www.savingsquad.org/Teachers/viewer.aspx?game=burgerBar

8. Thanks for the great suggestions! Does anyone know how I can make sequencing more exciting please? I've been told it has to be with decimals but using distances e.g. 1m 56cm or money etc instead would be fine. I'm tired of giving them worksheets or questions just to work through. I need them to be able to count in decimal steps but I'm trying to think of a more interesting angle to tackle it from, rather than saying fill in the missing gaps in this sequence, carry the sequence on etc. I'd love to hear some suggestions from people.

9. indigo987

indigo987 New commenter

I had the same problem with sequencing last week, I hate worksheets, but my very able Year 2s absolutely loved making up their own sequence (for this age group I had to give them quite simple rules e.g. must be adding or subtracting the same number each time), then hiding it, and playing hangman with their partner. They loved trying to 'trick' the other person by coming up with a tricky sequence (e.g. adding 7 rather than 2) and it really made them think about what would be a sensible guess. They had to have a sequence of 6 numbers, and give their partner 1 number to start with as a clue.

10. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

Hi there Dancing Queen,
    Try this, your kids will love it:
    http://www.mangahigh.com/en_gb/games
    Play Flower Power; if it's too difficult, they can play Flower Power Lite.
    For worksheets, Maths Worksheet Wizard is just brilliant. Unfortunately there don't seem to be many sheets on there for decimals, but you could go to http://www.mathworksheetwizard.com/grade5/grade5measurements.html and print off Temperature worksheets. Also some nice doubling and halving worksheets here: http://www.mathworksheetwizard.com/grade3/grade3arithmetic.html
    The nice thing about mathworksheetwizard is you can generate new worksheets from the same templates again and again; and it's highly differentiatable.