1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths display- help needed!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lizzybl3, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Hi everyone! I am starting a new school in September as numeracy co-ordinator, the head has told me she wants my maths displays to be amazing to sort of inspire the other staff, as maths is a weak area! I have got general resources up but I'm looking for some 'amazing' ideas! Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm in a year six class with lower than average ability children and i would love to really inspire them as well as staff!! Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Hi everyone! I am starting a new school in September as numeracy co-ordinator, the head has told me she wants my maths displays to be amazing to sort of inspire the other staff, as maths is a weak area! I have got general resources up but I'm looking for some 'amazing' ideas! Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm in a year six class with lower than average ability children and i would love to really inspire them as well as staff!! Any help is greatly appreciated!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Display-Creative-Numeracy-Belair-World/dp/1841914606/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314288530&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Numeracy-Display-Belair-World/dp/094788291X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314288530&sr=8-1

Not exactly cheap, but both give you lots of excellent ideas.

4. One big part of my display is my 'Ladder of Infinite Glory' (ironic, really as it's pretty small).

Basically - it's bamboo ladder (made with bits from B&Q), backed in felt. Kids make their own name tags with a bit of Velcro on the back. Then basically, they get points depending on how fast they can do their tables. The more points, the higher they go. I set a class target for the half term, and if they hit it, they get some kind of treat...

Works pretty well with my group - anything competitive works like a charm. :)

Anyway... take a look:

http://www.bpspschool.co.uk/6jwpano.html

That's a panorama I did a few years ago...but the ladder hasn't changed - it's at the back.

jon

5. blue_gini

blue_gini New commenter

Hi, I would suggest theming your displays around real life application of maths as this shows the relevance of what the children are learning.
    Last year, to support using and applying area perimeter and calculations we had a lesson where children got briefs as room or garden designers. They had to draw beds/ rugs / TV sets etc with specified area/ perimeter and create mini 3-D models of their rooms. Some children were given carpet samples (free from John Lewis and priced by us!!) and had to work out the areas of their L-shaped rooms, then work out how much carpet they would need and work out the cost. Similarly some had to work out how many tins of paint they would need to paint their walls if each tin covered, say, 2 sq m. Some children worked with real measurements and some got to apply knowledge of ratio. The tasks were differentiated by rooms (living room/ bedroom/ playroom) which was reflected in the briefs. The most able group were garden designers and had to find out how many rolls of lawn they would need to cover the garden, the cost of fencing the perimeter of the garden and drawing a net for a garden shed with a slanted roof.
    All of the 3D models looked great on display with children's written reasoning as to how they tackled the problems and what they had trouble with, and what they thought their next steps in learning would be.
    Another display was called 'What's the point of maths?' and children wrote about where in real life they would need to know about fractions/ decimals/ percentages/ adding/ subtracting/ data etc. Lots of visuals were attached with this.
    A colleague did a lesson aroud starting a pizza business which gave opportunities for designing packaging, baking and them measuring the temperature of pizza to test the most suitable packaging (foil/ cling film / paper) etc, working out the quickest route to different destinations on a map of the local area etc....fab display withs maps, photos of children measuring temperature, graphs showing which material was the best insulator...
    So for inspiring displays, I would go for real-life using & applying all the way .
    Hope this helps

6. Brilliant advice thank you for the time you have spent on that, much appreciated and I love the 'whats the point of maths' in particular.