1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Day ideas for upper KS2?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by garth1978, Oct 22, 2011.

1. I am planning a Maths day in November to coincide with the Primary Maths Challenge. Does anyone have any tried and tested themes with ideas to go with them that might be useful to myself and any others out there doing a similar thing? I am hoping to do it all day with Y5 and Y6. I have begun toying with a Lord of the Rings theme. Anyway, this discussion is now officially open! Throw any ideas down!

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I've run a Maths day on the theme of Code Breaking before.
    You can look at Caesar shifts, Frequency Analysis and up to a bit of work on combinations and prime numbers.
    Lots of cross curricula opportunities with history. Frequency Analysis was used to crack the coded letter written by Mary Queen of Scots leading to her death. The cracking of the Enigma Code in the Second World War lead to the development of the computer.
    Simon Singh's The Code Book was my inspiration and there is lots of great stuff on his website.

3. I teach in a Secondary School and quite often run Maths Project Days; some of my better ones
    • Eucliding Me! all about the Geometry of Euclid
    • It's all Greek to Me! about Pythagoras where I show how Pythagoras' Theorem was used to stop wars(by seperating the land and so finding the area); the best part making Thagoras Pies in Food Technology (triangular pasties).In Art the children made Togas!
    • Just last week we ran a bookies and spent the day discussing probability. All the teachers dressed up as bookies ..lots of flat caps..!!
    • I am about to do a Wallace and Gromit week where we will learn some skills needed to get to the moon!!
    • I also use the Chuckle Brothers to teach transformations ''..from me to you..'
    Give me a topic and I will come up with something...!! am sad like that..

4. I like DBarakat's ideas for Maths Project Days. Are they school-wide, or aimed at a particular year group?
    Incidentally, there is some kind of 'official' Maths Day each year. I am not sure how it is decided nor who by. But I have heard that it is scheduled for 6th March in 2012. It may even be an international initiative.

5. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Are you thinking of World Maths Day kanonka? That is scheduled for 6th March 2012.