1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Maths crisis! Advice urgently required!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by smallypauly, May 15, 2011.

1. I am a year 5 teacher who is going through a major crisis of confidence when it comes to maths! I have a very able group in my class and I'm struggling to challenge them. I think one of the problems I am having is how to stretch them and where to find resources. I know that I can use pitch and expectations and create tasks from there but time is an issue..I have a 2 year old and have been refused part time so am therefore struggling to manage my time which probably contributes to my rabbit in headlights state of mind.

So if anyone has any practical tips which might help me out I would be very grateful!

2. If you have other commitments outside of work you will need to manage your time better - try to put in a few lessons during the week which will have no marking.
    Challenge your children to lead their own learning through open ended problems. I can send you some problem solving materials if you like. (inbox me)
    Try giving children problems online - use websites like Toys R Us for children to find best way of spedning £100 or give them budget of £500 in B and Q for school gr ounds etc
    I use www.numeracyworld.com for calculation problems they have a wide range of sheets - many of them are very useful as they are differentiated.
    Use testbase to give the children Level 5 tasks.
    Get them to write their own questions for each other. Maybe do some projects like setting up a tuck shop etc where they gave to work on maths - costing, adding, ratio etc

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Have you tried the NRich website for the very able group? Also have a look at the G&T forum - I seem to remember seeing a similar question in there a little while back.

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

regencyrob - aren't you supposed to be planning? [​IMG]

5. I know the feeling I have 5 children working at a level 5A this year (good but also tricky) - I am a devotee of nrich,maths.org - loads of downloadable stuff for all levels

6. jacobgril

jacobgril New commenter

It is cool to see such a lot of great advice.

I can only add..give a little praise!
    I've been teaching Y6 for a while and found that they mostly need a little challenge and a lot of strokes. I know this sounds very patronising but those 'Bright Sparks' often need your time more than tricky problems.

Oh I sound patronising....Forgive me!

7. Wow thanks so much!!! I am VERY grateful for your help! : ) I wish my colleagues were this forthcoming!