1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

maths coordinator

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sulas, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Hi all
    hoping there will be some primary maths oc ordinators out there that can give me a few pointers about the role. I am applying for maths co ord job. I teach mainly upper ks2 i don't have a maths degree or even A level maths but i enjoy teaching it and and have a lot of success.
    what do i need to include in my application that will give me a better chance. the person spec doesn't mention any particular strengths over and above any other more senior role.
    any help would be appreciated. Please [​IMG]

2. Anyone able to help please? What else does a maths co ordinator do? ?

Any help would be appreciated Thank you

3. If you don't even know what the job entails why do you want to do it?

4. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Sulas,
    I would discuss the strengths you have shown as a co-ordinator for other subjects as many will be transferable skills and show that you know about the role of a co-ordinator in general. Then I would discuss examples of my own good practice as a numeracy teacher (maybe quoting stats/levels of progress for my current class) and any relevant training.
    Good luck x.

5. Thanks for your reply char2505 - i have been sorting my data so that i can give specific examples - not sure how much i need to know about specific programs - at our school i know which program we use and how to read the data - just don't know how to actually the program itself and i'm not sure if the same programs are used by the whole LA or if each school chooses its own and if so is that the responsibility of the co ordinator or the head/govs?

roseangel - [​IMG] Thanks for you 'help'

6. char2505

char2505 New commenter

When you say programmes, do you mean for displaying/interpreting data? I'm no expert but would imagine they would be more keen for you to know about their existing data (eg areas for improvement) and any ideas you'd have in supporting teaching/learning to raise standards. I'd imagine getting the right candidate would not be down to knowing how to use specific programmes. Good luck again.