1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths co-ordinator

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by kevfrombrum, Jul 16, 2015.

1. I'm starting a new school in September as maths co ordinator . The school has limited medium and long term planning and no assessment system . What guidance can anyone give me as to my priorities

2. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Do you have sufficient in place to get going in September? If not, identify what needs doing and get it sorted.

If so, then do a thorough review of the department using advice and information from interviews with any existing colleagues. Weigh up your own list of priorities, get departmental buy-in and move forward as a team by doing simple things well. I fear your own review of the department is a back of the envelope exercise. You won't truly know what's going on until you get going and teach there for a bit. Asking anyone else to diagnose for you on the basis of what you're saying is a bit like saying: I'm not sure why my car won't start: it's got a dent in the bumper and the offside rear tyre is a bit flat.

Besides which, you're the coordinator, trust your instincts. See what others are doing, do what you think is right for your department.

3. Andy.Pipkin

Andy.Pipkin New commenter

kev, are you primary, middle or secondary?

I can't really help until I know which :)

4. I am Primary and will be teaching in Year 6