1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths club ideas KS2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Jaycee_22, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Jaycee_22

Jaycee_22 New commenter

Good evening,

I have been asked to run a girl's maths club as part of our school improvement plan is to narrow the gap between boys and girls progress in maths. It will target the middle ability girls to boost their confidence and just give them that little extra push.

I hope to use nrich for maths challenges but has anyone any ideas for fun activities or games? It will be for y3 and y4 for this upcoming half term and then y5 and y6 after Christmas.

Thanks in advance :)

Pyewacket13 likes this.
  2. Pyewacket13

Pyewacket13 New commenter

Hi Jaycee. No ideas to share yet I'm afraid but I'm starting a Maths Club in the New Year and am looking for ideas too. If you don't mind I'll keep an eye on your post. If I get any ideas or suggestions from others I will, of course, share them.

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Google '24 game' - it's very useful for building mental maths skills and speed, also great for maths clubs. There are on-line versions, but you can still get the original card version (which we use) on Amazon. There are various levels of the game, we have most of them and use them all.
    You could start with 24 game and add more (there are masses out there) - fractions bingo, money games, etc. Kids enjoy it, it builds skills and is fairly stress free for you - an all round winner.

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Give the girls additional lessons.

southernteacher likes this.
  5. OLLIPUS

OLLIPUS New commenter

I ran a mums love maths club with the girls bringing their mums along. We played a variety of games and used maths problems to encourage problem solving. Sometimes think that girls performance comes from attitude at home and getting mums involved had great effect on raising standards.

pepper5 likes this.