1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Clips for the Classroom

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by XiLetter, Nov 3, 2017.

1. XiLetter

XiLetter New commenter

Hi
    Just wondered if others could share their recommendations of maths clips that can be used in the classroom. I'm particularly interested in ones that show how maths skills taught in school can be used in a real life context. I'm teaching a middle ability year ten class today and I'm going to show them part of an episode of 'homes under the hammer' in the context of teaching percentage profit/loss.

I'm aware of the BBC bitesize class clips and some of these are good. Is anyone aware of and willing to share a link to a list of other sources of recommended clips with the areas of the curriculum that they relate to? Would very much appreciate any suggestions.

2. I would suggest some videos from online courses by guys like Coursera or EdX, https://papersowl.com/blog/online-math-courses, here's a great list of free ones someone made. I would suggest checking different platforms so you can decide which videos would be the most suitable, but overall, there's a lot of great stuff you can show your students

kevinweav likes this.
  3. nicktayner

nicktayner New commenter

Why you don't use YouTube? On its expanses one can find the answer to any question. I found professional videos from experts for my subject on marketing (https://app-reviews.org/). BBS is a very high-quality resource, which can be compared only with TED video. These are short videos in which a variety of spheres of life are explained by an accessible language. There are also bright videos that you can use for students, because everything is served in the form of infographics.

4. cadenjacob98

cadenjacob98 New commenter

Above members said right, we can use different platforms and also can use YouTube for getting math clips for the classroom. But everyone must notice that YouTube or other platforms give limited access to such clips. As a math teacher, I can say such content not enough. So, I want such more detailed match clips, therefore, I discussed with my colleague then he recommended me https://www.mymathdone.com/. Where you can get more clips and other helping math related content. That content will help you to teach more effectively in the classroom. Good Luck.

5. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

This appears to be a website where (for a no doubt substantial fee) you can get your homework done or dissertation written for you, presumably in American English.

6. Do more cunningly: ask your students to investigate this question, so that everyone writes an essay on how to use math in real life. Well, after you only have to select the best and prepare interactive material. And make sure that they do not use services such as [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]. You'll notice this through a terrible grammar :))) We were always told at school that mathematics is only needed to develop logical thinking. And I am very glad that there are teachers who are dealing with this issue

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2018
  7. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

71m3ma3MmeL._SY355_.jpg
    difficult to get the right balance

8. DBizzle

DBizzle New commenter

Best school educational maths video on the internet: look around you

gainly likes this.
  9. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I am not sure that pupils would recognise the humour.

10. Thanks a lot for the recommendation