1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Challenges

Discussion in 'Primary' started by topman52, Feb 3, 2019.

1. topman52

topman52 New commenter

Hello,
    We have recently moved to mixed ability teaching across Ks2.
    I would like to know how people extend and challenge their greater depth pupils within class when trying to support the children who struggle to keep up with the expectations.

How are these GD children challenged?
    Thank you.

2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Look at the national curriculum requirements and see how the skills differ, e.g. if you're teaching time, you may need to go from how many days in a week all the way to 2 step written problems involving 24 hr clock.
    Pre-assess before each topic and differentiate accordingly, just like you would in a same age class of mixed ability.

3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Have a look at the Nrich website.

hammie likes this.
  4. J.M.Powell

J.M.Powell New commenter

Look at the White Rose resources to see the progression. NECTM have lots of great challenges too. The ideal is to find low threshold, high ceiling tasks so that they are accessible to all but can be explored in more depth to e.g. find multiple possibilities.

5. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

I hadn't heard the term greater depth before. Is this the new term for High Ability. Excellent Learners or, for goodness sake, clever children?
    We teach in sets in my school and I have the year 4 middle set, but even so I have a range of abilities. I introduce and discuss the topic, then send the children to do three different types of task.

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

You haven't heard the term 'Greater Depth'? Do you teach in England?

As for the OP. We all have the same work (bar one extreme SEN case). There will be an extension activity available for those who need it, but they're often not the same children each lesson.

7. Waiguoren

Waiguoren Occasional commenter

No, I teach abroad. Interesting to hear.

8. FriedEggs

FriedEggs New commenter

'Greater Depth' is from the KS1 teacher assessment framework to describe working within the end of key stage expected standard but at a higher level of understanding. The National Curriculum talks about children who grasp ideas more rapidly.

Since the rise of growth mindsets in England, teachers have become coy about referring to children's ability, in case it implies a fixed ability view of child attainment.