1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Cambridge checkpoint/IGCSE/IB textbook recommendations please!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by sebbie, Apr 7, 2011.

1. I am in the lovely position of choosing new textbooks for the courses above. I would like to have books that are more than just cover to cover black and white exercises - ideally containing investigative tasks, ICT applications, 'rich' problem solving tasks and maybe even a few pictures for some light relief (of a mathematical nature obviously) The Rayner ones I have seen for IGCSE seem very comprehensive but not very inspiring to look at. I have also seem the Hodder published 'Cambridge Checkpoint' series- are these any good?
    I would be most grateful if people could suggest good ones they use or warn me off rubbish ones before buy I put my money down.
    Thanks in advance.

2. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

You need to ask yourself what the books will be used for? Will the students only have a textbook or will they have an expert maths teacher as well?

I think that the Rayner books form a great backbone for the course, it is up to the teacher to supply the flesh to put on the bones. The new support packs seem to be very helpful in this as well.

The Rayners are not fully comprhensive, they are GCSE books with a couple of hurried chapters added, but they are the best available.

3. ian60

ian60 New commenter

With regards to the IB stuff, the Haynes and Harris (possible spelling mistakes there) suits us. The books are bulky, but come with a CD meaning most pupils leave the book at school and <strike>wander around facebook when doing maths homework </strike>can complete exercises at home, the CD's also contain some little software packages that can reinforce concepts introduced. The HL Options books give the answers are in the form of worked solutions which helps immensely.

4. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I hope to have the opportunity to meet one of the H&H authors tomorrow, what sort of things would you ask him (I think it's 'him')?

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Why are their books so ****? ( personal criticism - some in my department find them excellent! )

6. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Now, now Karvol, let's be constructive about this.
    Seriously, what would you like to be included/dropped/changed.?