1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths calculation policy-How closely do you stick to it?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shell43, Feb 1, 2011.

1. shell43

shell43 New commenter

We have to teach a different method of calculation in each year group and we are not allowed to teach another method if the children are not 'getting it'. I often see children struggling with a method and I don't believe in watching them struggle when another method may suit them better, but I do know that I will get pulled up if I teach them another method that has been asigned to another year group.
    Do other schools have such a rigid policy? If so what have you done?

2. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

If they are not "getting" it, then this is more likely due to misconceptions. A return to the previous stage from the calculation policy would probably get better results than learning an alternative method.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

To all children? Regardless of ability and understanding?
    If that were my school's calculation policy then I wouldn't stick to it at all. And I'd be arguing frequently for its replacement.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Fortunately, where at work at the moment, we're encouraged to have children use whichever method they're most confident using, to gain the correct answer!

5. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

The bold part can't be true, can it?
    What about teaching to the needs of the class/children?

6. shell43

shell43 New commenter

Unfortuinately wolfpaul. I went back to the previous stage and they could all do it ( division using single jumps on the number line), however whenit came to taking off 'chunks' on the number line they couldn't see it. Mind you the method is slightly bizzare as the start at 0 then jump up (not repeated subtraction) .
    Milgod, I will get pulled up as this has happened before.
    I refuse to move on to the next unit until they are secure, those that can do it have been given challenges and problems.
    Glad it's not just me who thinks this is daft!