1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths bursaries for 2018/2019

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by NattyJohn, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Hi all

Over the past year or so I had been thinking very seriously about changing careers to teach Maths secondary. Obviously the bursary isn't the main reason for me wanting to teach but it did soften the blow of what would be a drop in salary for me. However, having seen the new offering for Maths I am feeling a little bit deflated.

I know it does seem larger with the extra 10k (5k after 3 years and another 5k after 5 years) but that initial 20k really isn't enough for me to pay for fees and live as I have a mortgage to pay and a young family to help support.

I worked out the previous years money would not see me too worse off from what I am on now. However, that drop of around 5k from last year means it is unlikely that I could afford to change careers. Having already acquired student debt I do not want to take out another loan either.

I may just wait until next year to see if the situation changes and get some more school experience and brush up on my GCSE Maths!

I wondered if anyone else considering Maths as a career changer had been put off by this new offering?

Cheers

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Occasional commenter

I wouldn't rush into anyhting based on the promises of Bursaries, etc.
    When I went into teaching in FE, there was supposedly a 5k Golden Hello for anyone moving into teaching IT/Computing, as it was classed as a shortfall subject area. I never saw a penny of it, nor any of the supposed help with repayments towards my Student Loan. What they tell you you will get, and what you actually get, may be two dfifferent things.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. Vet31

Vet31 New commenter

Hi Natty John, I am in a similar position to yourself. It may be worth considering a fees and maintenance loan as they are only paid back when you are working. We also have to pay the mortgage and childcare etc, there is up to £273 per week childcare grant and also parents learning allowance ( for me it was a possible £1600 per year) and that was putting in my husbands ‘ reasonable ‘ teaching salary into the finance calculator online at gov.uk.

I am also hoping to complete a long SKE course from January which I am hoping to complete online whilst still working partime and there should be a bursary of £200 per week for 28 weeks, so an extra £5,600 which I am hoping to put away for when I start teacher training Sep 2018. You may not need this course but I do not have a maths degree so I thought I would mention it.

Hope that helps, let me know how you get on, as we may be going through the process at the same time. Good luck.

4. DaveJnr

DaveJnr New commenter

Here is my story. yours of course may turn out completely differently.
    I am in my late 40s and worked in the civil service all my life after graduating university. My last job of 12 years was very fulfilling and the pay was rather comfortable. Ever since my school days, I thought I wanted to be a science teacher. On graduating I applied and was accepted onto a PGCE course, however I turned it down to go into paid employment and scientific research.
    About this time last year I discovered that there was a substantial training bursary to train to become a science teacher so I decided now was the time to make that change in my life and become the teacher I always wanted to be. I applied for two SCITT courses and was offered a place on both. I chose the one that suited me best as it was closer to home and my first placement would be at a very well respected school. Between Christmas last year I took and passed first time my professional skills tests; I visited the school once a day on an almost a weekly basis; and I completed a SKE course. I said my goodbyes to my old work place in August and I started teacher training in September. By the time the first-half term had arrived I had quit my course and here I sit at home, unemployed and fearful of the future for my family.
    What went wrong for me? Three main things I think. Firstly my work-life balance pendulum had swung from one extreme to the other. Where once I could leave work on the dot and forget about work until I returned the next day, I discovered that I was staying on at school for a number of hours past the students going home. Once my own children had been looked after in the evening it was time to head to the laptop and work, often until midnight. I knew the course was going to be intense, but when I had the chance to chat with colleagues, some in their early career and some well established, they all said that they regularly put in 50+ hours a week and often much more.
    Secondly, the classroom management came as a complete shock to me. My previous job was in training, but there my students were mainly adults and they certainly wanted to learn. At school, I was shocked at the constant battle going on in the classrooms around me. Nothing major or extreme, just the constant low-level stuff. But what tipped me over the edge was on a few occasions when I offered my assistance to students in class and they would totally reject it.
    Thirdly, it was the prospect of knowing that in my NQT year my salary would be considerably less than what I was previously earning or what my bursary was giving me. What made it worse for me was the knowledge that my pay as a teacher would probably never reach the same levels that I was on before I joined teacher training.

So here I sit at home alone, getting very used to how the iron and hoover work and praying that I might be able to get my old job back.

Yes, I have been very naive and I should have realised what commitment being a teacher really is.

5. Vet31

Vet31 New commenter

Hi Dave Jnr, thanks for your account, it concerns me a lot. Do you think your experience is common or did you not receive very good support. Were you salaried from the start ? Does anyone have any good experiences of this route into teaching ?

6. binaryhex

binaryhex Established commenter

Dave Jnr’s post is very sad and sadly, very common. You have to be pretty dumb to want to teach today. Behaviour in many schools is seriously out of control and highly stressful to have to deal with daily. And kiss goodbye to your social and family life - workload is hopelessly out of control, still.

Alldone likes this.