1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Books - squared / blank alternating pages.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by theopenty, Jun 25, 2016.

1. theopenty

theopenty New commenter

Hello all,

In our school, we are seeking a new style of maths books for academic year 2016/17.

With the new focus on problem solving and reasoning, we would like books that have 1 squared page, followed by a blank page.

We've done some research but can only find the format with extremely small squares.

We are looking for books with the following squared sizes:
    7mm
    10mm
    20mm

Would anyone be to direct, suggest or support us with this. It would be really appreciated and we'll gladly give you feedback on how our system works!

All the best,

Theo

2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

sounds good to me. Can you get squared/lined?
    My secondary maths books were all lined for maths with a separate graph book made of proper graph paper.
    I've never understood the fixation with needing squared paper, especially at secondary level, even more so when they use tiny squares that are too small for almost all pupils to write in.
    If no availability might be worth talking to a local printing company, they can be surprisingly reasonable!

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Not sure why you want the blank pages...what can the pupils do on the blank that they can't do on squared?

I like squared hammie. My class can then learn to draw tables, set out calculations, draw simple bar graphs all while still learning how to write neatly.
    I'd have squared books in reception for handwriting myself!!

Can't see the point in 7mm/20mm squares though. Year 1 upwards can all do maths decently in 10mm squares. 7mm are an utter nuisance when trying to draw graph axes and similar, 5mm in much better.

Not been much help, but am curious as to why you want alternating pages.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. KateGrantGoodleigh

KateGrantGoodleigh New commenter

Hi Theo
    I am looking for these too so if you find any please let me know. If I don't find any I am thinking about going with all blank pages and having squared paper available along with all the other maths paper for children to use in lessons if they want it to help them solve a problem/present a solution. I think it will give them more freedom when explaining and solving problems.
    Kate

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

The problem I foresee with having alternate pages is that the progression of work may potentially be lost as one is unlikely to use up the plain/ squared paper up in equal ratio.

Perosnally I'd either have 2 books 1 for reasoning and another for work requiring squares, or as has been suggested 1 book and then paper.

Me I'm a fan of squared books. especially for children needing help keeping in line with columns for the 4 operations, useful for graphs etc. Plus I do a lot of work on whiteboards for 'reasoning'.