1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths books for the library

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by alabaster, Jun 12, 2011.

1. alabaster

alabaster New commenter

The library at my school has a set of the 'using maths' books - see http://www.amazon.co.uk/Build-Roller-Coaster-Using-Maths/dp/1860079857/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307867911&sr=8-1
    for an example. They have created worksheets based on the questions in the books themselves, and all our year classes spend 2 lessons in the library working on these. This is run by the library staff which is lovely, they call it 'maths for life' and is presented to the kids as being vocational - seeing how maths is used in different jobs.
    The classes really enjoy it.

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Alex's Adventures in Mathsland - Alexander Bellos
    Agree with the Simon Singh and Rob Eastaway recommendations.
    The Number Devil if you can find it in print.

3. Another vote here for the number devil. I find a lot of kids can relate to the main character and his fear of maths.

4. Books on origami? Not 'pure mathematics but a way to appeal to others.

5. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Martin Gardner's books, which are also now available on a CD

The Big Book of Brain Games - very attractive with a wide range of problems

John Derbyshire's books and Paul Nahin's books.

All these are probably more suitable for the upper end of your age range, and beyond.

For really bright students, I would recommend Paul Zeitz's The Art and Craft of Problem solving, and Titu Andreescu's books. These are mainly aimed at coaching students for Olympiad competitions.

6. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Not exactly for the library, but a FREE Ian Stewart book available now in the Kindle store:

Amazon listing

7. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Thanks for that Adam. I haven't got a Kindle, but I installed Kindle for PC and everything worked a treat.