1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths Assembly

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rabbit14, Jan 16, 2010.

1. CB123

CB123 New commenter

I just want to say a big thank you Andrew.
    I kicked off our maths week with your camel story the kids and the staff loved it. It was great to see the children enthused about maths!!!
    I would reccommend people to have ago at the assembly

2. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

It's really kind of you to take the trouble to say so, CB123. Lots of people have emailed me asking for the assembly - you're very welcome, but it's on this thread in its entirety, folks! I have no clever bits to add to the story that is already here!

3. hi
    do you still have a copy of your camel assembly??
    with thanks,
    Flora

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Look at post 12 of this thread Flora

5. Don't have an assembly for you, but you could add a little something with a Maths song - try I love Maths from Out of the Ark Music - for KS1 - lots of Maths songs - really catchy, easy to learn, comes with a cd with vocals and backing tracks so you don't need to be a musician

6. Hi I am planning a maths week, could you please email me the details about the camel story.

thanks
    Mini

7. Andrew Jeffrey

of course I'd be delighted but there is no need - I posted it in its entirety earlier on this thread. You are most welcome to use it - I still do it whenever I do school visits, and it still goes down well. A x

8. Thank you so much for that - an instant fix for an 'emergency' Assembly that I had to take.
    My favourite bit was when Son#1 realised what was about to happen as he took his 9/18 camels off, looked at the remaining 9 and exclaimed, "Hang on a minute. How's that happened?"
    Managed to link it to the morals of "Treat others as you wish to be treated" and "You get back what you give out."... with a crow-bar mind you!

9. Andrew Jeffrey

Hi folks, I have recently improved this assembly and you might want to try the new version:

Instead of using 18 camels I use 12. Start with 11, laminated A5 works best, and give the HT the 12th card secretly in advance.

Give the eldest 1/2, the middle 1/4 and the youngest 1/6. The rest of the story is identical and works the same way, but is easier for children to follow, uses fewer volunteers and the dividing them up is a little faster.

I have probably done this a dozen times over the past two years in different schools and it's now had the rough edges smoothed off a bit!

10. Going to give this one a go thank you Andrew

11. hc08

hc08 New commenter

Hi Andrew, what year groups have you done this with? Would it work with Reception- yr 4?

12. Hi everyone
    m going to organise a 5days maths week n need ideas for interesting activities n assembly presentations. do share your ideas plz.