1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths APP

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Llama farmer, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Having returned to primary from middle and secondary teaching, I am currently struggling in getting to grips with APP, particularly in Maths. It is expected by leadership that we complete APP tracking for Reading, Writing and Maths, but I am finding Maths in particular to be confusing and pretty unmanageable - despite asking for support in implementing it properly.

My main queries are:
    a) how often should I be using the Maths APP grids?
    b) what is the most manageable way to go about actually filling them in?
    c) any other advice to make this seem less arduous than it appears to be?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Hi all,

Having returned to primary from middle and secondary teaching, I am currently struggling in getting to grips with APP, particularly in Maths. It is expected by leadership that we complete APP tracking for Reading, Writing and Maths, but I am finding Maths in particular to be confusing and pretty unmanageable - despite asking for support in implementing it properly.

My main queries are:
    a) how often should I be using the Maths APP grids?
    b) what is the most manageable way to go about actually filling them in?
    c) any other advice to make this seem less arduous than it appears to be?

Thanks in advance :)

3. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I'm an NQT so I don't have huge amounts of experience but this is what I was told about it when I asked many of the same questions.

How often? There wasn't a set answer for this really, it's just as and when there are opportunities. It was suggested that I should try and add at least one per child every week or so.

Filling them in: It was suggested that I have them to hand whilst marking and if I see something where I think child a has met that, mark it on their APP grid. If whilst working with child b I think they've met this, mark it off.

Another thing that I was told was when I'm marking things off, try to make the evidence as organised as possible. So date things so I know when and where to find it.

I'll see how helpful that is come September, hope it helps you..

4. They were never intended to be used frequently, so you shouldn't need to be updating them all the time. For maths, I find it useful to update them at the end of a unit, so it is fresh in my mind, but if I don't, I update them three times a year.
    Each child has a sheet and things are highlighted once I have seen whatever around 3 times. I tend to put a dot each time I have seen something, so it is simple to highlight once I have two or three dots. I pick six children across the ability range and date their highlights so there is an evidence trail if asked for. None of the others are dated and no evidence needs copying etc, as the dates mean the work could be found by the date if needed. This is what we have been asked to do.
    Hope it helps.