1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

maths and reading assessents each term - what do you use?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon63, Jan 29, 2010.

1. We are moving into using APP but in the meantime I still want us to do termly assessment which give us a level for each child in reading and maths. Ideally I'd like the tests linked to APP so that you can see what assessment focus each question is on. I'd like them to look like SATS papers, be available for years 1-6 and give a termly level and sub-level (e.g. 3a)
    We had been using optional SATs papers but there is a feeling among teachers that the 1999 ones are so far before the renewed framework that it isn't fair on the children.
    I have been sent stuff from 'NSI' but I don't think it's what I'm looking for as it's not APP linked, it's from the 'QCA New Mathematics Framework' (which doesn't sound right to me as the framework is DCfS not QCA so makes me think the publisher/author doesn't really know what they're on about.)
    I'd love some more ideas - what do you use in your school?

2. Anyone? Please!

3. We use APP all year, with NfER and Optional SATs in November and May respectively.
    Have you looked carefully at the APP guidance? The whole point of it is that it *isn't* based upon testing, but upon your ongoing assessments of the pupils during lessons.
    For maths, I frequently set a short task for pupils to do independently to see whether they can apply what we have covered in the previous block of work. I also build more word problem work into the ends of my block planning to assess using & applying of the methods taught.
    For reading, I tend to assess my Y5/6 class based upon their written responses in their weekly reading journals. Each week they pick a response ask from a list of 20 or so, and complete it for their weekend homework. I also trust the TA who runs our Y6 reading boosters to help me out with their assessments! I also make notes of significant achievements/difficulties when reading texts in class (not just in English, but across the curriculum)
    If I had more time, I'd make more of my reading judgements in Guided Reading, but I don't get time for it!

4. Ditto to what LMC has said!
    Most of my Reading APP comes from my reading journals, though we plan for APP opportunities to happen in Maths and Reading. For maths we tend to have a context task that can show more than one objective.
    English writing can tick many objectives - slightly easier...
    After a few tries, you do become clearer of the objectives and we try to use the TA's to note down everything the chn say to use as evidence.
    It does inform me about what gaps the children have!

5. I agree with you about the potential power of APP, I am a lead APP teacher so I have had lots of training in how APP works so that I can help others to use it.

The problem in my school at the moment is that we are SO far away from being proficient enough in this to reliably and consistently across the school level children that we are looking for an interim assessment test that we can carry out three times a year so that we can track progress until we are ready to replace it with APP - which may not realistically be for a couple of years.

We have been using the three optional SATs that exist (1999, 2003 and 2006) but staff are unhappy with the older SATs tests as they were written pre-renewed framework. So I'm looking for a published resource that can level our children whilst we develop APP in school.

Without one we just can't track our children's progress reliably.

Are you really confident that all the teachers in your school are using APP so well that progress can equitably tracked from year 1 to 6? We have 18 classes in this age range and some teachers are still so chalk and talk that I am working on their guided group teaching skills first before APP can be fully implemented.

6. We are a small staff, with only 4 classes, so the issues of consistency are somewhat smaller for us. We have a half termly staff meeting on APP, and spend time moderating and sharing examples of pupils' work.

7. Just commit to APP.

8. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Is it possible, just maybe, that actually testing them every 12 weeks of their learning isn't actually doing anything to improve their learning?
    Is it possible, just perhaps, that you could do just as well by ditching at least one of those tests - perhaps two - and still get a pretty accurate picture of overall progression in your school?
    Is it possible, just in extremis, that your teachers might better spend their time familiarising themselves with real progression rather than marking tests?
    Maybe?

9. Think we're in the same position.....want to adopt APP but staff not ready and need something as an interim. or maybe we should just go for it and accept some issues in our tracking! just looked at the GL assessments progress in maths and the cgp tests. All much the same and do nothing to teach the teacher skills needed for APP. . . feel like whatever we do won't be right...

10. Have a look at Wigan maths assessments (free) and Rising Stars (need to buy).

11. Unfortuantely APP will never work in the current climate whereby Y6 pupils are soley given a level based on a test. If we don't give children opportunities to practise this before year 6 we are doing them a complete injustice.

12. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

If test results are used properly they can certainly improve learning. Tests are also useful for getting children used to a certain way of assessment. They will have to take tests throughout their lives, so nothing wrong with them getting used to them. Marking maths tests doesn't take very long either.

My class love tests. They thrive on them and we have managed to develop an encouraging, competitive atmosphere in the maths classroom.
    Shoulde tests be the only thing you do? Of course not, but they have their uses that many teachers don't seem to recognise.

13. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

What about Teacher Assessment levels? It's compulsory to report them at the end of key stages, including Y6. I know they're only 50% of the end of key stage result in subjects where there's an NCT score - for those children who've taken the NCT, that is.
    Science used to have NCT and TA on equal footings (legally, if not politically) for those children who actually did the Test. Now there's no need to give any test level.
    In most cases the Teacher Assessment is 100% of the key stage level. (And it's not meant to be gained through test marks.)