1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths and physics teachers to get £2K retention payments

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TheShortShort, May 23, 2019.

1. TheShortShort

TheShortShort New commenter

2. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

As a former Maths teacher, my annual bonus is substantially higher than £2000 in five years so utterly pointless. Just one of those must be seen to be doing something.

It used to be £3000 after a year.

3. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

I know many schools in my area are giving some kind of R+R bonus or TLR to Maths, Physics and Chemistry candidates.

We've just handed out two to fill our roster for next year.

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

nothing new. Its market forces, isn't it. We've had retention bonuses before. Sign to agree not to resign for at least 2 years, have a grand. That sort of thing. In some circumstances, schools consider this good value for money, and they are probably right.

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Heard this before. There's usually a reason (delegated budget) why most maths and physics teachers don't get the bonuses.

6. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

People don’t get into teaching for the money. £2000 is nothing over a year or 2.

In some regions there is a shortage of music teachers so schools have taken it out of the curriculum. I find the disparity amongst different subjects extremely unfair and degrading.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

It won’t bring more teachers in, but it will reward those already there.

8. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

jlishman2158 and SomethingWicked like this.
  9. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

2k is peanuts in many graduate jobs . Not worth staying for that.

jlishman2158 and SomethingWicked like this.
  10. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

At least it's the start of recognition that if schools are businesses (spoiler, they aren't) then they have to pay market rates for skills. In a marketplace with restricted supply but consistent / increasing demand, prices go up.
    Up until now, the capitalist asset strippers that have been handed our schools have ignored this fairly basic reality.

11. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

So you have worked out the minimum amount of money you need per month and given the rest of your pay back to the school then to spend on resources.

If not then you are in it for the money they otherwise you wouldn't be taking more than you need to survive on.

So often i've sat there in meeting being told we are only in it for the kids and ive thought well if tescos paid me 12.50 an hour id be bloody tempted to apply.

I wouldnt be in teaching if A. I didnt enjoy it and B. It paid a reasonable albeit not great pay for the work expected.

border_walker likes this.
  12. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

To get one of these bonuses, you have to have a job first.:(

catbefriender and Alldone like this.
  13. Lalex123

If teachers wanted a job solely for the money, there are plenty of other options that pay more.

I don’t know about you, but surviving on £25k per month when you have rent and bills to pay doesn’t go very far. You must be one of those teachers who soared to the top of the scale before performance related pay was a thing.

14. Robfreeman

I wish I earnt 25k per month

As you noticed from my post I said not bad pay not brilliant and I enjoy it but if I was paid less I would go to tescos or Morrison's. Also no I'm not high up the payscale I'm on m1 and take home less than 2.5k per month. I'm doing a year long supply contract and drive 95 miles a day for that to get the money to pay my rent and bills please don't assume I don't understand.

When I go back to a perm job in September I will be on m4 so not loaded either. If you read my full post you would have noticed the last bit saying I do it for the money and the enjoyment. However I wouldn't do the job for less.

Also I'm not certain if your agreeing with me about pay or not because your saying your pay doesn't go very far and its rubbish whilst assuming I earn a killing and don't understand then in your first post saying people don't get in it for the money. I wouldn't turn down a 2k retention payment.

15. Lalex123

I was quite offended that you would suggest that teachers are rolling in it and should prop up school budgets by paying for resources. Teachers are doing a job - I wouldn’t expect a doctor to work for free or pay for medical equipment.

16. Robfreeman

When did i suggest that?

17. Lalex123

18. Robfreeman

That was my response to you saying 2K is nothing for me it would be a lot of money that i wouldn't turn my nose up at in fact id say thank you still not enough but id take it.

19. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Straw man argument.

People need to live not just survive.

Give back to a UK school? Many is have already done that. There has already been a thread on buying your resources.

https://community.tes.com/threads/h...-money-in-the-last-year.789371/#post-12802281

Those of us who have done know that we are not just in it for the money.

20. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

This sounds just another face of the 'opportunity to put something back' offer, when schools want us to work for free, which some of us know and loathe.