1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths and Phonics lesson observation/interview

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sgnqt17, May 20, 2019.

1. sgnqt17

sgnqt17 New commenter

Hi all,

I have been invited to an observation and interview for an EYFS post.

I have to teach two sessions.

The first is Phonics. 15 minutes to 10 middle ability children. Lesson input & activity based around Phase 4 but also revisit some elements in Phase 3. Teach a new sound from Phase 4 and practise activity.
    - I’m struggling with this because to my knowledge no new sounds are taught in Phase 4.

Next is Maths with a focus of number. 5 have achieved ELG and 5 are working securely within ELG but not yet achieved. Teacher input and a short activity.
    - For this I am thinking of using the Year 1 curriculum to plan for the children who have achieved ELG. I was thinking of focusing on addition but am struggling to think of a WOW lesson to last only 15 mins!

Any ideas for the phonics and maths would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

You are correct that no new sounds are taught at Phase 4 of Letters and Sounds. It is a consolidation phase, with a focus on more difficult blends (eg. adjacent consonants and two syllable words). Some new common exception words are introduced at this phase, so perhaps you could teach one of these in your lesson?

For the maths, I would advise you to go broader rather than higher with your lesson objective. By that, I mean don't look to the Year 1 curriculum, but instead, look at the ELG and plan a lesson where the children can apply their knowledge. A good option could be a problem solving task.

Good luck with your interview!

3. parachute89

parachute89 New commenter

Hi there

Depending on how confident you feel, for maths you could maybe look at money? It incorporates problem solving with number as well as SSM. I’ve been doing money this week with my children and it’s been great stretching those more able children to find different ways of paying for items, eg four 5ps to pay for a 20p item. There are some great games online as well pitched at different levels where children need to work out which coins they need to pay for different priced items at a conveyer belt!

Good luck