1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths and literacy task in TA interview

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by cleo_tabakian, Dec 10, 2019.

1. cleo_tabakian

cleo_tabakian New commenter

Hello everyone, I have a TA interview this week in a Primary School. They will ask me to complete a maths and literacy task. Do you know how I can prepare the test? Is there any test samples online? My maths is very limited and I really need to practice ahead of the interview. Same for the literacy test (I am French…). Thanks for your help.

PS: They will ask to listen to a child read and then reflect on how it went, as well
    I am not sure what they mean by reflecting... any tips?

2. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

You could ask your local college about a free online maths and English test. The reading is about you reflecting on what you think of the child's reading ability. Are they fluent? Could they retell you the story? Did they understand the harder words? Do you think the text was right for them-easy enough or do you think it was too easy or too hard? Did they use expression? Did they read at a good pace for understanding?
    Good luck!

sunshineneeded likes this.
  3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I have known TAs be asked to complete some questions from a KS2 SATS test for the Maths task at interview - the papers are available on-line, you could have a look at those. Google KS2 SATS 2019 - there will be both Arithmetic and Reasoning papers. As for the literacy task - I've heard of several possibilities - TAs asked to answer questions from the KS2 SPAG (grammar) paper (also on-line); asked to write a short paragraph about a hobby or something they enjoy doing; or asked to write a note to a parent explaining something they needed to know about their child.
    @hubcap has explained what is meant by reflecting on the child's reading very well.
    Best of luck with the interview - be confident and smile. Let us know how it goes.

4. cleo_tabakian

Thanks, both of you for your help. I'll let you know how it goes then...

5. cleo_tabakian

I have got the position. Thank you so much sunshineneeded, I prepared myself with KS2 SATS 2019 and it went great. Without your help I really doubt that I would have passed the test...!

sunshineneeded likes this.
  6. sunshineneeded

You're very welcome and congratulations! You must have interviewed well, competition for jobs is fierce today. Have a lovely Christmas, then enjoy your new adventure.
    In the new year, think about enquiring at your local college about Maths GCSE courses. I had the lowest possible pass at O level in Maths (from many years ago) and decided I needed to upgrade my skills a few years back. I went to college one night a week for a year to do Maths GCSE. It was hard work (especially the homework) when you're working full-time, but so worth it - I eventually got a B grade and it did wonders for my confidence when teaching Year 6 Maths.

7. cleo_tabakian

Amazing thanks. I will likely be working in Year 3, especially with EAL children. Do you have any tips to prepare during the holidays? I was thinking of borrowing a KS2 book... Btw, I posted questions about future schedule and contract here: https://community.tes.com/threads/ta-schedule-salary-and-conditions.797885/
    I haven't got the chance to discuss these details with the school staff, and because of the winter holidays, I can't really ask until starting to work in January... You might be able to help....

8. sunshineneeded

Hi cleo, I've posted on the other thread about your contract. As for preparing - just enjoy the holidays now! You will be fine in Year 3. If you really want to, you can have a look on-line at the Year 3 English and Maths curriculum, but please don't worry too much … have a lovely Christmas and be ready to start in the New Year.