1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths and EAL

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mathmo2000, Sep 6, 2011.

1. I am about to begin work at a new school where a number of pupils will be receiving EAL support and whose English is very weak. Can any one give any gems of advice as far as how their maths lessons can be tailored to allow them to access it as fully as possible. I'm thinking of the obvious things like pace, less wordy problems, highlighting important numbers, focussing on the concepts and forgetting about applying....but here I begin to run out of inspiration. PLEASE HELP!!!

2. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Occasional commenter

A strong focus on key words. Avoiding wordy questions entirely isn't going to help them, you (ideally) need to build their confidence in accessing those questions. This might mean giving them a highlighter and getting them to find key words and phrases in questions (this is actually good technique for any student), and to compile a glossary of new word in the back of their book.

3. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

Can you say a little bit more about the students, mathmo? What year group? Which languages? When you say they will have support, in what form?
    Has the school determined their maths ability using tests in their first language? Often, EAL students are set mathematics that is far too simple for their ability because of the language barrier.
    You might find it useful to print off a booklet of maths words that they can have to hand - you will find some on Emaths
    http://www.emaths.co.uk/index.php/4-teachers/admininstrative-resources/eal
    The more info you are able to give, the more folk might be able to help

4. What a star!! Thank you