1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

maths and communication

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by guitarandsmile, Jan 27, 2011.

1. this two subject is very lovely to me

2. this two subject is very lovely to me

3. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

errr....???????????

4. DM

DM New commenter

Just what we need.

5. Hello guitarandsmile,
    Yes the two sit naturally together. In the 20th century there was a great practitioner of mathematics and linguistics called Caleb Gattegno.
    He set up the Association of Teachers of Mathematics and achieved many other great things in mathematics education.
    He also developed 'The silent way' for teaching languages.
    There is a philosophy group which meets in London in his name to deeply analyse both areas of education. I've been and I love it.
    It's meeting a week tomorrow. You can find out about it here:
    https://www.ncetm.org.uk/community/thread/7124
    You can find videos of Gattegno teaching mathematics (search for 'mathematics fingertips') and of language teaching which uses the silent way on youtube if you are interested.

6. LiamD

LiamD New commenter

I'm not sure what the OP is saying, but the communication of Maths concepts is pretty cool.
    My homework for Year 8 top set earlier this term was to ask them why 40% of 50 = 50% of 40, determine whether x% of y is always equal to y% of x. They were to communicate their results in any way they chose. Most used paper, some sent emails, etc. My favourite method was the novel approach of marker pen on helium balloon.

7. gosh - what an amazing coincidence - just a week after a completey new and completely unintelligible poster mentioned the subject

yes dm - just what we need

8. LiamD

LiamD New commenter

Is it absulutely necessary for every thread on this forum to deteriorate into a slanging match?

9. Agreed. This another thread that will get pulled? Why cant people just leave it? Ignore if they want but just leave out the playground games.

10. Jabed, Liam
    There is the potential that by speculating it will lead to the very thing you want to avoid.
    Yes the original post is not the norm and its the members first post but perhaps it should just be left to either develop as a maths topic or runs its course and slide away. I feel that threads can go off if people provide a platform for it. Despite me being a moody b4***rd I think an open minded positive outlook should be given to a thread until it goes off on one.
    I like the original post as it makes me feel more human about my iniability to spell, puntuate of know any basic grammar [​IMG]

11. I accept your point. I may have been hasty, especially since I too am new here. I know what it is like to be jumped on. I will keep an open mind.
    To the OP - guitarandsmile. May I apologize for my previous comments and offer some word of welcome?
    I also have a soft spot for both maths and communication. The language of maths in my view being the most elegant form of communication possible.