1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths after SATs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by loulou20, Apr 28, 2011.

1. loulou20

loulou20 New commenter

Hi,
    I am expected to keep my numeracy group right until the end of the year but have covered all units through extra sessions as per heads instructions. I have rooted out some investigations, but I was wondering if there are any transition units? The only things that I found on the framework website are from nearly ten years ago.
    Thanks
    Loulou

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You can buy a pack called 'ArtyMaths' from LCP for £30. Sounds expensive but really is worth every penny. Mine have done a few of the activities as part of learning, but will do several more after sats. Makes nice displays as well, to replace those you have taken down for sats week.

Some problem solving bits as well. I have top set so lots of G&T type things.

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

there used to be a whole load of official transition units which you could use..the kids seemed to enjoy them but i found them devious and difficult.....however ill see if i can find them.

4. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Theme park maths is good fun. I also do investigations/games with pentominoes.

This year I will be downloading the L6 optional papers and doing some work towards them. I am lucky enough to have a good top set maths though.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We're doing those as well. But I am resisting looking at them too closely. I don't want to teach just the bits on the test they haven't already done...but I might in the end!

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I'm not going to just teach to these tests but there are some things that we will need to try out first as they will never have come across them before.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL me as well.

8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I've just downloaded the level6 maths, it doesn't look too bad, my top few should have a good go at it without any more work. The reading on the other hand looks pretty tough, I think only 1 of my 12 would manage that, and we've no chance at all with the writing, I wouldn't even attempt it!

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL the writing looks like a nice starter...but no way would any of mine get a level 6.

None of mine would be able to do scatter graphs, well one or two might work it out, but no guarantee.

The reading does look hard, but hey no harm in trying!