1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maths advice

Discussion in 'Primary' started by frillypants, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Hiya folks, just wanting some advice really. When looking at assessments for the year, it is noticeable that the progress with a number of my class in maths is not where it should be. I am a teacher in a mixed year 4/5/6 class and this has been my forst full year with the kids (started in september) and i was just wanting advice really on how you structure your maths lessons and what reccommendations yo have really. feel little disheartened and very overwhelmed. been a very tough year with many challenges. want to know how i can start as i mean to go on really. :/

2. Hiya folks, just wanting some advice really. When looking at assessments for the year, it is noticeable that the progress with a number of my class in maths is not where it should be. I am a teacher in a mixed year 4/5/6 class and this has been my forst full year with the kids (started in september) and i was just wanting advice really on how you structure your maths lessons and what reccommendations yo have really. feel little disheartened and very overwhelmed. been a very tough year with many challenges. want to know how i can start as i mean to go on really. :/

3. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I was there last year! However, good kids and single year group, top ability maths group, so no excuses for me.
    I have simplified my planning, moved away from the framework - I've always hated the way it chops and changes and you never get enough time to really get anything done/taught in depth. The HT is supportive of this.
    Analysis of optional sats data - which questions were poorly answered - focus on that area.
    Use problems in plenary more often. Taken from sample tests.
    Used Andrew Brodie mental maths to really enforce number bonds etc. (1 minute tests)
    Also, (when I'm really organised), specifically differentiated work (I'm no angel and most people probably do this as routine)
    Hope some ideas help.